Monday, August 4, 2014

Working in the working out

Now more than ever, I have to work my running in whenever & where ever I can. My marathon training plan right now is dictated more by my work & child schedule than anything else.

For example, Thursday was originally a rest or cross-train day but instead, Thursday is a run day that will always be at least 4.5 miles long. This is because my office is 4.5 miles from the gymnastics class that my son takes on Thursdays. Our babysitter takes the boys to gymnastics class, which ends at her quitting time. In order to relieve her so she can get home to her family, I forego biking to work and instead take the light rail in so that I can RUN to the class at the end of the day. Then, I take the boys home in the car and she takes the light rail to her home (her normal mode of transportation anyway). I'm still getting the hang of the logistics on Thursdays and suffer a bit by having to leave my computer at work but it's really a nice way to get a run in and force me to NOT do work-work in the evening for lack of my lappy.

Last week I experimented with an alternate route and though it was HOT at 5:00 (85 deg, yo!), it was a really fantastic run. I headed south from downtown and east through the International District, then over to the Mountains to Sound Greenway, which passes through parks over the I-90 lid.

At one point, I got to the top of the lid where there was a marvelous view of Mt. Rainier looming above the play fields. I didn't take a pic, should have (sorry). A short while later, I was puzzled by the sound of Chopin. Live piano-sounding Chopin. Then, sure enough...

Someone wheeled this painted piano out to the bike path for folks to enjoy. On my Saturday long run, I intentionally ran this way again to see if anyone would be playing. It was drizzly and the piano was thankfully covered with a tarp so it wouldn't be harmed. Lovely!
 After stopping for the music, I turned forward again and had to climb WAY too many stairs in the heat. It hurt. After finally reaching the top, I was thanking the heavens for the water fountain located conveniently in a little overlook park at the top.

What a view!
After quenching my thirst, noticed that this overlook thoughtfully provides poetry magnets. Or magnetic poetry. 
After this it was pretty much regular South Seattle awesomeness. I made it to gymnastics barely on time but was glad I took the scenic route. Such a great way to disconnect from work before diving back into the mother role. 

Later in the week, Saturday, I would have normally gotten up early to complete my long run. These days, I am reluctant to leave the Mr. with the boys without giving him a chance to sleep in. So, I waited until Littlest Guy (11 months) went down for his morning nap before I ran. By 9 a.m. it was too warm (and drizzly off & on!) BUT this is when it just worked out for me to go.  

Once Littlest Guy is a bit older, I think it will be easier for me to sneak out for my long runs on the weekend but for now, I just have a difficult time leaving everyone. 

WHEN DO YOU FIT IN YOUR RUN TIME? 
ARE  YOU ABLE TO GO DURING YOUR IDEAL TIME OR DO YOU WORK IT INTO ODD TIMES OF THE DAY, AROUND OTHER ACTIVITIES? 

10 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I was never a runner with little kid(s). You are amazing for getting the training in you did this week.
    What great views (hate the heat!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing for getting the training in with all your kid sports going on!

      Delete
  2. I run either early in the morning before the kids wake up or occasionally on the odd weekend day that my husband has off (far too few!). I can run during lunch but it is tough because I use that time to run errands. I honestly don't like to run in-between activities and I *hate* running after work. It is so cool that you can run to work! It would be quite a long run for me and there are too many areas without sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - it's a definite bonus living close to the office in such a walk-able city.

      Delete
  3. OMG you're back!! I missed the last post, but was just thinking about your blog the other day and wondering what you were up to! Looking forward to following again. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly working on figuring it out. I am impressed with what you are able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'm a stay at home mom and thought running would be easy now. Oh by was I wrong. With all the play dates we have, I barely make it to the gym :) I also let me husband sleep in on Saturdays before I head out. I look forward to some cooler temperatures. It's awesome you can run home from work, perfect for not skipping your run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - I think it would be really hard for me to run if I DIDN'T work outside the home b/c I would NEVER have child care! I saw on your blog that you are doing a LOT of play dates already. It's really great you are staying social, for your benefit. Even if it's not running, it's really good to get yourself out so you don't go stir crazy.

      Delete
  6. insanely impressed!!! i have to get my runs in before work and the heat. sometimes it's a 5:15 wakeup call and i've never done that before until this year. it's kinda exhausting and I look forward to cooler temps and fall afternoon running again. if i'm on the road and don't feel safe, i suck it up and hit the treadmill

    ReplyDelete