Sunday, June 9, 2013

Big sweat, big rewards

This weekend I was fortunate to go with my close girlfriends to stay at a cabin on Lake Kachess, about 60 miles east of Seattle off I-90.

Saturday morning we debated about which route to hike and settled on Easton/Kachess Ridge, which was listed as 3 of 5 rating in difficulty with great views from the top of the ridge.  We set out for our 6-mile RT hike with snacks and energy from a good breakfast and ascended about 2,200 feet over 3 miles.

It was sunny and warm (not hot!) and the route was in the shade of the trees. Along the way, we spent some time following Silver Creek and crossing patches of snow. At one point, we startled a poor garter snake sunning herself. She was quite pretty & large (green & orangey red coloring over brown) compared to most garters I see. On the way back down, we ran into another, much smaller one.

I didn't catch a photo of the snake but did capture these fun fungi!

I struggled getting up the steep switchbacks, carrying this 6-month belly with diminished lung capacity and larger blood volume, but it felt good to work. I was a big sweaty mess when I got to the top but it felt so good to really work up that ridge.

Mt. Rainier
 

Looking down from Beacon Tower, great view from atop here!
 

There were a lot of wildflowers blooming as well but as soon as I began to take photos, my camera battery died! Grrrr! 

On the way down, I really appreciated how steep the climb had been and felt pretty proud of how well I had done*. My calves were thrashed from the route up and my quads were quivering from the trip down. 

A day later, and my legs are SO SORE! As I climb the stairs, wincing, here at home, it's great reminder of the hard but rewarding hike with my girlfriends. GOOD MEDICINE!


*GF with whom I went to cross fit regionals with last weekend was carrying the heaviest pack up the mountain and was climbing quickly & easily up ahead of us. She is so fantastically tough & strong from cross fit!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a fun weekend! Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do the most amazing things whilst pregnant. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one fit pregnant lady! Admirable. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!!!
    And gorgeous photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds so fun-minus the snakes :) and beautiful! sounds like someone will be all about some cross fit post-baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Run For Environment on 4th August 2013, Sunday, 6.30 Am. Venue: Bala Quila, Alwar, Rajasthan. Bala Quila is a 1000 year old heritage fort on the lush green Aravali Ranges in Alwar City. 7 Km long run for saving the environment. Register at www.runforenvironment.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your site and your passion to help and inspire others. i coach non elite runners and love it!
    In addition to coaching I recently finished creating a plan for those who can't meet with the group. It wound up turning into a complete how to manual for beginner runners and us easily worth over $50. I put a few months into this and it is based on coaching hundreds of runners and input from other USATF and RRCA coaches.
    This plan is designed to keep beginners motivated, injury free and following the best training advice!
    http://teachtorun.com/training-plans/

    Please check it out and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love visiting and reading your blog! It is so real and natural- keep up the great work! :)

    David | Birch Leafminer

    ReplyDelete