Thursday, April 18, 2013

You know you're a #runnerd when...

your bestie from college (with whom you ran all the days with) emails you about celebrating her 40th birthday by...

GOING RUNNING! 
(and then eating bad-for-you food at the pub)

So this weekend my friend MB & I will catch a ferry to Bainbridge Island where we will meet up with another college runner friend who is celebrating her 40th, so we three can hit the trails & get muddy. Post-run we'll get cleaned up then satisfy the runger. ("I'll have a virgin vodka & soda with lime please.")

MB has appeared here twice: First in my post-pregnancy re-bound race, the North Olympic Discovery Half Marathon walk (along with Kerrie of Mom vs Marathon), and then again more recently we ran a 5k in Tacoma with Santa & Co (why didn't I do a recap? Ok, so only once). Our other runner friend has run Boston and is a published writer so I'm looking forward to asking her if she has expressed her thoughts on the Boston Marathon attack in her local paper or elsewhere. So eloquent she is.

I haven't gone trail running in eons so I'm really excited to get out there, though I'm hoping I don't slow the ladies down too much with my baby belly-induced slog.

Next week I will continue with my too taperish taper (I've totally slacked off due to busy schedule, getting my runs in but cross-training & strength work are failing) and will begin my impatient preparations for EUGENE HALF. Detailed plans coming later.

At 20 weeks pregnant, I'm so grateful that I am still running (and riding my bike to work! - even if infrequent). I really wasn't sure if I would make it this far but it seems to be working out for the most part. However, I decided after this past weekend's long run that Eugene would be my last run over 60 minutes. I feel great while running but after, my lower back is weak and squirrelly and I can tell I'm on the verge of having something down there slip. Not fun.

Post 9+ mile run at 19wks5days. Drained my 1-L water bladder - wasn't expecting it to be so warm! 
After Eugene, I look forward to doing sub-60 minute runs as long as my body allows. My run-commuting has worked out great twice so far, so I think I'll incorporate that into my routine on days that I'm not schlepping the lappy.

Aside from trail running this weekend with my #runnerd girlfriends, I have a very light running week ahead. Just 2 runs pre-half marathon: 3-mi and 2-mi easy. My work week is full of meetings over lunchtime so cardio-strength classes will be out yet again. Lame but 'tis the life of a grown-up.


Have a lovely weekend & good luck to everyone who is racing (KIM & Becca)! 

17 comments:

  1. Great that you get to run together for the 40th. I love my running friends. We hardly ever meet anywhere other than on a run, but we are very close. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these friends are special indeed.

      Delete
  2. You are adorable in that pic! There is virgin vodka? I had no idea!

    See you in a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! That is my sneaky way of ordering soda water w/ lime!

      Delete
  3. You look great with your neat little bump! Don't work too hard and take care of yourself.

    Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. first off, you don't even look pregnant in that pic! I love that you have close gfs you can share running with, even better than you're still able to take part in it during your pregnancy. Good luck and have fun on the trails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful weekend. Sounds like a blast!!! :)

    You are doing amazing still running! I miss it and live through so many other pregnant bloggers posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look fantastic!!

    I can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great. Have fun with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear your running is still going so well! Have a great time this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a runner and a grown-up at the same time can be quite a challenge! :) I can totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm really impressed that you are still running and cyxling at 20 weeks pregnant. I could barely walk up a flight of stairs while I was pregnant. You look fab too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. such fun 40th celebrations with your friends this year. and can we please talk about how fabulous you look!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Really going to be missing you this next weekend.

      Delete
  13. Wow, you're an inspiration! I've just started running recently and certainly hope to be like you when (and if) I'm pregnant

    ReplyDelete