Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Running buddy review & race plans

This week is off to a good start! I have had chocolate every day so far! Wait, it's only Tuesday, but I'm optimistic about the rest of the week. Yes, chocolate is an integral part of my training, especially now that I can't drink beer or wine.

I will be running the Lake Sammamish Half Marathon this Saturday for Team Gab. You can enter the virtual race HERE. Money raised goes toward the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation in Gabby's name.
  My goals for this race are to:
  • Meet up & enjoy the running company of other runner lady friends
  • Enjoy the scenery
  • CELEBRATE THE END OF GABBY's CANCER TREATMENT!

Prior to the big day, I'm continuing with logging easy miles (*Previous Sunday's long run morphed from 8 mi to 10 mi - so much for "taper" but it was a nice day so all good):
  • Monday: 6 min barefoot running + JM Ripped in 30 workout (25 min) + bicycle commute to/from work
  • Tuesday: 4.5 mi run, included 10 min barefoot running + cardio strength class @ the Y (60 min)
  • Wednesday: Plan 60 min yoga at home
  • Thursday: Plan 4 mi easy run, including some barefoot running time
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon! 
  • Sunday: Rest or light cycling 
***************************************************************
A while back, I was contacted by the developer of a new product, the RunningBuddy, to review. I intended to take it on vacation to test but spaced on my packing. Since getting home, I've been using the RunningBuddy and I like it.

My first sight impression before trying it was that it looked too bulky and looked like it might chafe. However, my first use impression proved me wrong. It was not bulky feeling at all and the fabric was amazingly soft against my skin.
Outer mesh pouch, inner water-resistant pocket with velcro closure.

So check out how this buddy works:
It is a pouch that has magnets (yes, MAGNETS, crazy) that hold it fast to the waistband. The inner pocket is water resistant, which is great for rainy Seattle but also kept my sweat out. YUM.
The part on the right is inserted into the waistband, pockets on the left hold the goods
This is handy for keys, ID, cash, iPod, maybe a phone, or a library card if like me, you finish your run by picking up books on hold. My Droid is ridiculously large so it weighed my waistband down too much. My husband's iPhone is about 2/3 the size and I can't help but think it would be just fine in the buddy.

I will say that after trying it on my hip, front, and back, I preferred placement on my lower back.
WARNING: Objects on butt make butt appear larger than it really is.
If you are looking for something to carry a few essentials without having something strapped around your waist and prefer to have your hands free, you may consider the RunningBuddy.

Nice to know about new products on the market that may be helpful, especially those developed by runners who have started their own independent, small business.

HAPPY RUNNING!

10 comments:

  1. I figured the only thing that would have you off beer & wine would be pregnancy but I missed the announcement in your last post. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG KELLY! I was thinking about you the other day, wondering what books you are reading these days. I will stay make it to T one day to share a bottle of red with you :)

      Delete
    2. That's funny, I was just thinking of YOU since I just finished Flight Behavior and you were the one to remind me of my love for Barbara Kingsolver when you were reading the Lacuna. So funny the connections you make on line - it would be great if you made it out to TO & we could meet up in person. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for chocolate! I like the Running Buddy and use similar products for all my long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice butt!

    Hey--I found your socks at REI. Thanks for the 10% off tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. Magnets?! Interesting....

    Have a great race this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your butt looks great! Enjoy the half!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cool product. Enjoy the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the running buddie, need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete