Saturday, March 9, 2013

Run for Gabby & PRx4


Today Team Gabby celebrated an end to her cancer treatment.


Today I ran the Lake Sammamish Half Marathon in honor of Team Gab and it was a beautiful day. It was a cool morning in the upper 30's with heavy fog. This race was three times bigger (~1,400 people) this year than when I ran it in 2011, so the start was actually a bit congested. Fortunately, I found Meghan, Megan, and Zoe, Lindsay, and Carla at the start.

Meghan, me, Megan, Zoe
The race ran along a trail of compact gravel along the east "coast" of Lake Sammamish from Marymore State Park to Lake Sammamish State Park. It's a nice trail, running mostly through wooded residential area along the lake. Nice but not so interesting. After coming through the first mile with Meghan too fast (9:05), I dropped back. After that I was on my own. And it was boring. 

I never get bored during races! Or so I thought. It was actually hard not to push myself and "race." My goal was to go no faster than 9:30 but I was feeling so good with the cool weather, which was warming as the sun rose and fog lifted. It was strange to be simultaneously feeling like I was going too slow (I am able to and wanted to run faster, it was a race after all) and also going too fast (need to keep HR and body temp down for baby brewing). 
Fog lifting on the lake
To keep my mind occupied, I thought about form:
1. Chin & knees up
2. Back straight, chest up
3. Feet silent, light


This helped keep me occupied until I found a groove and settled in at about 9:20-9:30 pace. I stopped at each water stop to drink several cups, took one gel. It felt so good to have that sun come down on my skin, I was even able to peel down my arm warmers and run in short sleeves!

By mile 9, I was getting antsy though. I was thinking about Gabby and my friend's dad who just passed (an inspiration runner to his whole family), and I decided to have a little fun. I let myself pick up the pace and squeezed in a couple miles at ~ 8:55 pace.

It felt SO good! I knew this is probably the best I would feel while running pregnant so I enjoyed it for a couple miles before putting myself back in check to keep my HR down. I think the following photo was taken just as I was bringing it back down & feeling good. Have you ever had this happen to your arm (note right upper)? Where your arm fat wants to jiggle off? I wish it would have...jeez. Need more Jillian Michaels PRONTO!

Photo credit: Woodinville Bicycle
Coming into the finish, I saw Zoe with a big smile on her face. Zoe PR'ed by 10 MINUTES! 
Megan also PR'ed (and this was part of a 19-mile training run for her)! 
Double PR!

Also, I'm giving myself TWO PR's for this race (finish time of 2:01):
1. First/fastest half marathon as a master's age group-er
2. First/fastest half marathon as a pregnant runner (< 15 weeks)

Women's winning time was 1:15:57, just 2 minutes behind the leading male runner in 1:13:02 (do you think he was bummed about not running 3 seconds faster?). The top 13 female finishers were under 1:30, with the rest close behind. Very impressive!

It was a great day for many and I can only imagine how great the live celebration was down in SoCal, where Team Gabby met up to run & party.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice! PRs all the way 'round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go. I'm running solo for Gabby today. You are a speedy pregnant woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the fastest baby grower ever!! Congratulations on you new PR's ;).

    Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this blog. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's difficult to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appeal. I must
    say you've done a awesome job with this. Also, the blog loads
    very quick for me on Safari. Excellent Blog!

    Feel free to visit my blog post Go to my website

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fabulous race for everyone! i was actually thinking how great you looked for being pregnant and running a 1/2!! not the arm :) congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there!
    Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us
    so I came
    to check it out. I'm definitely loving the
    information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

    Superb blog and
    amazing style
    and design.

    My website View here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for all the awesome PRs, you did fantastic and I'm loving that smile on your face at the end. Pregnancy and running suit you well :). I raced a lot when I was pregnant with my daughter - up until 6 months. With my twins, I couldn't go as far but it was still fun. I'm glad you're enjoying it, too! :)

    Yeah, I did a 7k this weekend and was 34:02...I was kinda bummed with that extra 2 seconds. Hahaha. I hate sometimes how competitive I can be :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your TWO PR's!!!! That's amazing :)

    ReplyDelete