Sunday, March 31, 2013

Last training week before the taper

It feels so silly to talk about training and tapering when I'm not really looking to RACE the Eugene Half, but I am still following my former plan and this week coming up is indeed the last "hard" week before the taper. I hate to admit that I'm really looking forward to the taper.

I've cut intervals, tempo runs, and hill repeats but I'm still logging the miles. This past weekend's long run (10 mi) was the first one that has made me nervous about being able to actually run/jog Eugene (as opposed to walk-jog it). I felt fine until the last couple miles, then I could feel my lower back starting to fatigue and get a bit squirrelly.

Fortunately, I had ordered a Gabrialla medium support maternity brace that I've seen other runners blog about and it arrived shortly after my long run. I had measured as a medium but ordered up one size at the recommendation of many Amazon commenters. Well, I'm thinking a size large is a bit big so just put a medium on order so I can compare the two. Despite being big, that brace felt heavenly after that long run. The way it snugged my hips together and supported my lower back was exactly what I needed.

Funny thing, I thought that running during pregnancy would be a problem due to a big, heavy belly bouncing around but really, it's the back and hips that are the problem. They're going all loosey goosey on me!

Otherwise, last week went really well. I had some fantastic spring-weather runs (3 runs) that gave me great peace and decent mileage. I'm still in the 20-25 mile range! I did get one strength workout in at the gym and am counting helping my BF move yesterday as another strength workout. I rode my bike in once and attempted to do some barefoot but GOT KICKED OFF THE TREADMILL AT THE GYM! (More on that in another post.)

So what's a pregnant lady to do during her last training week before taper?


  • Monday: Watch the Voice and continue to debate with myself whether or not I like the new judges. Really on the fence still. Oh yeah, and get a strength and/or cross-training workout in. Cross-training may just amount to riding my bike to/from work.
  • Tuesday: 6 easy miles
  • Wednesday: Strength and/or cross-training
  • Thursday: 4 easy miles
  • Friday: Rest day, maybe some yoga with Rodney Yee @ home
  • Saturday: Last long run! I'm up for 11-13 miles, depending on what works with my training partner, SL, who has her last 20 miler before Eugene. I will have to see what route she wants to do and figure out where/how I can join in for a good chunk of those miles 
  • Sunday: REST


I hope everyone had a happy Easter and gets some great runs in this week!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing well but kicked off the TM? Looking forward to finding out why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job keeping up your mileage! Very impressive :) Glad the belt seems to be helping. Good luck at Eugene!! I almost signed up for the full this year but decided to do the local Tacoma one instead the following weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's almost time - woohoo!! You are doing a great job, I am very impressed. I'd be sitting home eating ice cream all day I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course you still earned the taper even if you aren't full out racing :) I have never been preggers, but I LOVE seeing you mommies out there running it's inspiring to so many women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't tell me that they didn't think you running barefoot was unsanitary??

    im so impressed you are able to run as much as you do while being pregnant--- NO IDEA what i will do when that time comes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new judges.. You ar a Rockstar, I sorta wish I would have run a half whle prego. Keep it up and if yo have to walk cheer on others while you do it. That is what I did at RNR Seattle and I was not even prego :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If some one wishes to be updated with most up-to-date technologies then he must
    be go to see this web site and be up to date every day.


    my web blog ... electric juicer

    ReplyDelete