Monday, March 25, 2013

How to start the week

  1. Go to bed early on Sunday night (for me, 10:30 p.m. though my goal was 10:00 p.m.).
  2. Set the alarm for just before sunrise. When the alarm goes off, don't think. Roll out of bed, get dressed. Put pillows next to your bed to soften the fall if necessary. For me, it's part of waking up.
  3. Head straight out the door without thinking about the time or lack of light.
  4. Note your pleasant surprise that it's not quite as cold outside as you expected it to be. 
  5. Listen to the birds chirping.
  6. Smell the daffodils in the neighbor's yard (my yard is completely gutted right now, no bulb flowers). 
  7. Run through the neighborhood beneath the flowering cherry trees, feeling, seeing, and smelling spring! 
I feel so fortunate to have started the week with this downtown waterfront run. From my house, I headed out through the communities of Little Saigon, International District, and Pioneer Square, then landed on the waterfront just as everything was coming to life, including the mountains.

Scores of construction workers, bike commuters, and several other runners also were out. One construction worker I could tell was checking me out until I ran right past him & he noted my pregnant profile with a "Jesus!" not-so-under-his-breath. How did he know I've been referring to my little bean as Jesus (say it in Spanish, hey-SOOS)? That guy must be brilliant. 

It was heavenly this morning! I covered about 7 miles and would have kept going if...I were retired and didn't have to work.

Olympic Mountains over Elliot Bay
I could see Mt. Rainier over the Port of Seattle & Duwamish River but she doesn't show herself in my photo. I'm still not used to seeing that damn ferris wheel.  
Exiting the waterfront's Olympic Sculpture Park, look up to see the Space Needle, contemplate sitting on the eye-ball chairs & enjoying a cup of coffee while watching the water.
Heading home, I ran between the Seahawk/Sounder and Mariner stadiums being warmed by the sun.
I did NOT want to go inside. It was just not right having to be in an office today but the best I could do was to prolong my spring morning enjoyment by riding my bike into work. Happy day.

EUGENE HALF MARATHON TRAINING UPDATE: 
I totally bailed on my "long" run this past weekend - 8 miler. I ran myself ragged baking (4 loaves of bread & 1 cobbler, yo!), running errands, hosting a dinner, doing housework, etc. I ended up crashing for a 3 hr nap on Sunday instead of running. Sad. But a good reminder that I need to slow the "F" down on the weekends and recover from busy weeks*. I keep forgetting that I'm pregnant and need to CHILL a bit more.
*However, I am NOT complaining about the 2 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread I baked that became delicious French toast on Sunday morning.

Still loosely following the Run Like a Mother "finish it" half marathon training plan, this week will include:

  • 4 to 6-mile run (DONE, that was today's 7 mi) 
  • 4-mile run 
  • 10-mile run
  • 15-20 min of barefoot running 
  • Another bike commute (which I'm counting as my cross-training) 
  • At least one strength class during lunch and one Jillian strength workout at home. It's been a couple weeks since I could fit a YMCA class into my work day so I'm really hoping I can pull it off. 
  • NEED to do yoga, I can really feel my right plantar fasciia bugging today. My doctor said that PF can be made WORSE by pregnancy. Ug. Just what I don't need. 

Crossing my fingers that I can just hold on long enough to enjoy this cool spring running and run the Eugene half...


13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your pregnancy and you're right. It sounds as though you're listening to your body. Careful for the hidden ice with the early morning runs. Good luck to you and baby AWR on your next half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seattle is so pretty, I love your pictures.

    Can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loosely following the AMR finish it plan too. Very cool.

    I love your pictures and that THAT is your running route. You are a very lucky girl. Oh, and I like the ferris wheel.

    So looking forward to Eugene, I can't believe it's just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, spring sounds lovely. Sadly it is missing from the UK so far this year, we're stuck on winter still. Take care of that evil PF, and relaaax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running along the waterfront is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, gorgeous run! Getting out the door is the toughest thing to do, so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mornings have been amazing this week. I've ridden my bike in every day and even wore shorts yesterday! I'm sure I passed you on my bike on Monday cause I ride right down Alaskan to the ID. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful place to run! you're right you do just have to set the alarm and roll out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all blogging users,
    due to it's good content

    My page :: http://www.rolexoutletfreeshipping.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made some decent points there. I checked on the internet for additional information about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this web site.

    My homepage - プラダ バッグアウトレット

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pics! I love waterfront runs!

    ReplyDelete