Thursday, January 3, 2013

Marathon plan

The plan: FINISH IT plan from Another Mother Runner - Train Like a Mother.

Description: 5 days/week of running, some light speed work about once a week based on level of effort rather than hitting specific times/distances, one 20-miler.

I struggled with this. After being totally addicted to the Furman Run Less, Run Faster program with its two days of hard speed work with specific intervals and paces, two days of cross-training, and brisk long runs that included five 20-milers, I struggled with the AMR program's lack of specificity and only one 20-miler. So, of course I modified the "finish it" program to include only 3 days/week of running, more cross-training, and three 20-milers.

Over the last few weeks, I subsequently regained my sense and am sticking with the one 20-miler included in the plan. But, I think I will keep the running down to 3-4 days/week and increase the cross-training.

Other Critical Training:
Strength training - 2 days/week
Yoga - 1 day/week
Physical therapy for the plantar fascia - once/month (in my dream world, this will include a massage once/month) 



Other Critical Fun Activities: 
Contemplating an 11-mile trail race in January, a "Geoduck" Gallop Half Marathon in February, a two-week celebration abroad for my birthday/10-yr wedding anniversary that will include some travel running, Mercer Island Half Marathon in March, and maybe the Mt. Si Relay in April before Eugene.

The Training:
Week 1: Completed (mostly)! This included:
  • 12/24 - 3.25 mi easy run, was supposed to be 5 miles but ran short on time due to holiday festivities.
  • 12/25 - REST
  • 12/26 - Cross training with Jillian (No More Trouble Zones & 6-Week 6-Pack)
  • 12/27 - 5.2 mi tempo run (felt great!)
  • 12/28 - Cross training (does snowboarding count? first day of my season = awesome! this was supposed to be a 4 mi run.)
  • 12/29 - 11 mi long run (very challenging post-boarding with sore butt cheeks from a couple rough chair lift dismounts) 
  • 12/20 - REST (legs are lifeless)
Week 2:  Plan calls for 3 easy runs, one interval workout, and one 12-mile run. My goal will be to complete the interval & long runs, and 1 or 2 of the easy runs.

14 comments:

  1. Interested to see how the AMR plan works for you - I felt the same way when reviewing them. I prefer more solid planning, rather than the more tenuous plan outline in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem with the "Finish It" plan and other plans like it is it is more about surviving than getting to the finish line in good shape. My plan, which was limited because of knee issues was 3-4 days a week, but included three 20 milers. Those three 20 milers helped me stay on strategy and strong throughout my marathon in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts indeed. I am still having heartburn about only one 20miler, I thought 3 was pretty good on the last attempt in 2011. I am still thinking of tweaking this yet, just want to see how things go these first few weeks. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I do not specifically know much about the FINISH IT Plan, but it sounds solid based on your goals. And like any plan, you can modify it based on how you are feeling (run a little more or faster if you feel good that particular day).
    I am not the best example of marathon training, but I have done 10 marathons improving each one... and have never ran a 20 miler in training. I always seem to stop at 19 miles (mental I guess). But I am consistent throughout each week and the entire training cycle which I feel is most important. This sounds in line with the training plan you have chosen and I think it will get you to the finish!
    Best of luck and it will be fun to follow your progress this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I think you are blessed by the running goddesses to be able crank through 10 marathons & not get into higher mileage pre-race! I think you do log quite a few more weekly miles than I do though...Anyway, it's very encouraging to hear. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I really gotta start looking at training strategies soon. I love the idea of doing a lot of cross training to save the knees, so I am leaning in the direction. I continue to make progress at the gym because I go so hard there, so I see no reason to chip away at my joints if I can avoid it. This could change once it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing your injury background, I think you are being smart. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plans sound great esp. the travel/running/celebrating abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog a few days ago & it's been fun reading. I'm a masters runner who is also running Eugene which will be my 6th marathon. Through much trial & injury, I've found that one 20-miler works best for me, although I now run more weekly mileage and will max around 50+ miles. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so excited for this plan! i like your adjustments-especially the cross training, yoga, PT and hopefully massages. i think this will be key! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it sounds great, but what do I know :) Recently I read about the Hansons training plan and they have the long runs at 16 miles, I think! Their other runs during the week are longer, though. Their plan really appealled to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken
    and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it
    with someone!

    Also visit my website - www.jbbuilders.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?

    A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog
    stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme.

    Many thanks

    Feel free to surf to my blog exercises to jump higher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert
    that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

    Feel free to visit my website - vertical leap exercises

    ReplyDelete