Friday, January 11, 2013

A decision & marathon training week 3 update

I can't do it. 

As much as I want to go run the Georgia Half Marathon on March 18th with Kim & Elizabeth and see Kia, I can't miss my friend's 40th birthday. No go.

Even though it would have been a blast and super low cost with a free plane ticket, my bff only turns 40 once and I won't get to be with her on my 40th next month, so we'll celebrate together in March.

Today is cold (for us, 35 degrees F), clear, and sunny - stunning. The snow-capped Olympic Mountains are out in full force and I wish I could show them to everyone out there but my camera just won't do them justice.

It rained miserably most of this week, which made this wimp hit the treadmill for training runs. I really struggle with the treadmill because I get bored and hot. That said, it is nice to play games with paces and times as I run.

Marathon training Week 3 is nearly complete with just some strength work and my 11 mile long run to go:

  • Monday - Ran 2 miles with 15 minutes of barefoot and did some core strength work.
  • Tuesday - 5 mi run with middle 3 miles as harder effort. 
  • Wednesday - Rest/XT day so I tried ZUMBA for the first time. IT WAS AWESOME. I'm definitely going to be trying to fit this Wednesday lunchtime class in whenever my work schedule will allow. I think it will help my core a bit, lift my mid-week spirits, and improve my coordination! Plus, I think it was good to get my body moving in different planes/dimensions than it's used to.
  • Thursday - 6 miles with negative splits every two miles. This one was fun, run using a random hill treadmill program. My 2-mile splits were 19:27, 17:50, and 17:18. I had hoped to get down to 16:00 for the last 2 miles but I was overheating too much as it was.
My 11 mile long run will be along Lake Washington so I can enjoy the views and redeem myself:
This was my Week 1 hilly long run route that kicked my butt. This time, I'm ready for those hills at the end, bitches!



13 comments:

  1. Girl, you love hills so much? Georgia has hills, ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sticks about GA because I hopped on the girls wagon and am now going--- totally understand about your friend's birthday. With all the hill training you're getting in you should fly in Eugenes flat course:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you're amazing.

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the barefoot miles! I put in 4 miles in my Fivefingers today (farthest yet). I am hoping to do my erlt marathon training in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 miles is awesome! I am just at 1.5 miles, trying to work my way up gradually.

      Delete
  5. yay for Eugene training! Yes, I'll keep you posted of my long runs to see if they match up with yours - although, I think my pace for them needs to be in the 10 min range.. So if you wanna get in a reeeally slow run, let me know ;) I think I'm switching over to Higdon from Run Less Run Faster, as I don't want to run it fast, I just want to finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 min/mile is perfect Andrea! I will be in touch to try to rope you in for some long runs.

      Delete
  6. Hi there! I couldn't find a way to contact you privately so I apologize. I design ladies running headbands, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a blog feature and give away on your site.

    You can check out my headbands at www.runbandz.etsy.com

    Amber Rushlow
    Runbandz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally understand about the trip! i never made it to Zumba with the new to me challenge but saw a class on thursday at my gym-not sure i am brave enough to try it! some of the ladies looked good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do zumba, coordinated women be dammed. It's great for comic relief!

      Delete
  8. Nice hill workout! I agree, I wouldn't miss my bff's 40th either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good choice about the race, though it's still a bummer.

    Nice route for your run! It's so pretty over by the lake.

    And zumba scares me, I would look crazy doing it! Hey, check out the gangly tall girl who looks like an idiot! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Zumba! It's been part of my winter cross training for about 6 weeks now; totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete