Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 1: 10k training recap

I'm already further along in my 10k training program than I was in my half marathon training in March when this dang plantar fasciitis stopped me on the track. Literally.

I'm cautiously optimistic (probably have used that term too many times this year). 

Week 1 of the Another Mother Runner plan called for 1 or 2 easy 3-mile runs, 1 fartlek run, 1 long run, and 1 or 2 cross-training days. I actually did it all and my PF isn't any worse (or better) and I am continuing on to week 2! Week two calls for a long run of 6 miles and a tempo run. I'm actually toying with running a local 5k as my tempo.

Day 1: Easy 3.4 mile run with 4 strides (+ bike to work commute)
          This was my standard "golf course loop" by my house followed by strides at the park. It had been a LONG time since I actually tried to sprint. I knew I'd feel it later in my hamstrings but was hoping I wouldn't hurt myself. I'm wearing my Mizuno Wave Elixirs received via the Mezamashii Project and I'm really liking them. Very lightweight and responsive. I can feel fall coming on: warm temps with cool undertones. I love it, reminds me of cross country season! 

Day 2: Strength training (+ bike to work commute)
          I was sore from the previous day's strides, indeed, but my PF was no worse. Ok, so far, so good!

Day 3: Easy 3.4 mile run with 6 x 1-minute fartlek with 2-3 minute rest interval (+ yoga!)
          Ok, I hadn't done fartleks since college. I love the name, they made me giggle every time I picked up another 1-minute uptempo interval. I made a point to go easier on the fartleks than I would have pre-PF. It was speed that got me into this mess and I'd already pressed my luck with the strides. The yoga helped loosen me up after the effort (oh how I love that our office is now across from the YMCA). 

Day 4: + bike to work commute 
          This was essentially an active rest day. Much needed. 

Day 5: Weekly long run of 5 miles 
          I was nervous about this, my longest run since early March. On the way out, I felt like I wouldn't make it the whole way. My foot hurt for the first 1.5 miles and I was hot & thirsty. Finally, I made it to my turn-around point and then all the right peeps came on my shuffle (I rarely listen to music while running outside, glad I did this time): Don Omar, CSS, Earth Wind & Fire, Daddy Yankee, Destiny's Child (I know, RANDOM). It did the trick, the second half felt downhill...until the last mile. Then, the last mile was one big effort and pain in the foot. But, I DID IT!

Day 6: Rest day
          I could feel my PF a bit but it was doing ok. I was relieved my long run didn't do me in. 

Day 7: Easy 4.2 mile run
          This run was 3 laps around a little state park lake with two of my best college friends. We ran together all through college and the three of us and our families hadn't all been together since a trip to Sayulita, Mexico in 2008 and the three of us hadn't run together since college (...over 15 years ago). The three of us girls sneaked away for some "soul/sole medicine" to get this run in while the hubses played with the kids. It felt so great to run with my girlfriends again, like old times. These are the girls who taught me how to run! 

*******************************************************************

And in other news...

There are 5 days left in our annual "10k a Day" competition at work. The Seattle office is in second place (!!), hoping to uphold our title from last summer. So far, I've been averaging about 13,000 steps a day. Not bad! 

*******************************************************************

Thank you (so not) SuperRunner Mom for tagging me in a post. I will answer your questions this week!

*******************************************************************

Because everyone wants to know, you can get these cool tumblers featured in an earlier post at Butter Home.




12 comments:

  1. Sounds like the training is going well. Take it easy and keep it going. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your PF isn't getting any worse. I love that your work is doing that competition! Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are cool tumblers I have to say...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw so happy to hear of your "girls run". Those are the best! And totally cool work competition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things are progressing, so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have a new PF exercise i learned today at PT. going to do a video (soon) and post on the blog-just for you!!! :) so glad the running is getting better. and that you got to go with your girls. love those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for minimal PF issues this week, hopefully you are turning a corner and things are going uphill from here :).

    The glasses are really cute; I've seen them at a couple stores aroudn here too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great first week and glad to hear your PF is not getting worse. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! Hope it heals soon! Looks like a great training week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that your PF is getting better. Speed always gets me in trouble (injured) and I'm always anxious before and during any kind of speed work.

    I am so glad you are going to play along and answer my questions :) Love getting to know more about people I find interesting.

    ReplyDelete