Friday, August 17, 2012

Today ended 351 day dry spell

Downtown Seattle skyline from Alki

I'm not sure how it's possible, but apparently I haven't ran Alki Beach, one of my favorite running locales, since September 2, 2011. I've been here plenty of times to hang out in the past year but according to my running log, today ended a 351 day dry spell.

I parked a ways from the prime sandy beach area, packed Baby F into the jogger, loaded it down with blanket, toys, snacks, and water, then ran us into the beach where we met up with playmates. The tide was out so we were able to wade out quite a ways to dig in the sand and mud. Awesome! When we were done, we got packed up again and ran back to the car.

Total distance = 3.5 mi  (30:02)
Temp = 82 degrees
Love this heat!
Plantar fasciitis = Yes, still some pain. Cortisone shot #2 on Monday. 

Because we've had such a mild summer, I've been really enjoying this "hot spell" we're having. Even running in the heat is feeling good to me! I like the super sweat factor it adds and so grateful to finally have a tan line (it's mid-August after all!).


Have a good weekend everyone!

Next up: Thoughts on a training plan for a fall 10k (Snohomish River Run - $10 off with this code: AVERAGESRR12)

15 comments:

  1. Nice place to run. Hope your PF continues to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, could be featured in the next runner's world as a rave run! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Love the water (said from a land-locked state of Colorado). Hope that PF gets better STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had such a wonderful run on such a beautiful day :)
    LOVE Alki Beach...I'm running my long run there Sunday morning to (try to) get my fill of the Sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - one of my fav 12 mile routes is out there. Do you have a route picked yet? You can do all of Alki, up Avalon, down Fauntleroy to Lincoln Park, then down along the water from Lincoln all the way back to Alki. Sweet route w/ nice mix of flat & hills + lots of water. AND...not far from the best bakery in town = Bakery Nuveau

      Delete
  5. Nice run, so pretty!! Please tell me you stopped at the bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got ice cream instead!

      Delete
  6. Looks lovely. I'm hoping there is still a little hot weather after I get back on Monday - although I can only handle a day or two before I melt.

    I'm going to send you directions for a run you can do from downtown Kodiak if you end up having any time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely. I'm hoping there is still a little hot weather after I get back on Monday - although I can only handle a day or two before I melt.

    I'm going to send you directions for a run you can do from downtown Kodiak if you end up having any time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Snohomish 10k sounds fun. Ryan wants to do a 10k this fall and he says he's going to train on a treadmill on a ship in the Gulf of Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that running on the TM helps Ryan pass his downtown. I can imagine going a bit stir crazy if I was tied to a boat for too long. You both should do the 10k! I'm hoping to be able to build up some miles for to get that far by late Oct - depending on my foot. PLUS, I wouldn't mind bringing my last 10k finishing time down...

      Delete

  9. I'm hosting a giveaway - would love for you to enter!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/2012/08/cheribundi-tart-cherry-juice-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. As another runner struggling with PF - I wanted to share what has been helping me. I've tried many different braces, splints, inserts, etc. to try and get over this dang PF. I've also done the Graston therapy - OUCH! While all of these have probably helped a litte, my PF is still there. A fellow PF sufferer recommended the "Thermoskin" foot brace. It's unbelievable how much it helped. It's thin enough to wear while running - and it keeps the pain away. I don't go for a run anymore without it. It also helps with pain during the day as well as at night. Hang in there! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - I will check this out for sure!

      Delete
  11. Ahhh I wish the dry spell will end again! The heat is starting to get to me. Even though I know everyone will miss it when Seattle gets back to its old ways ;)

    ReplyDelete