Saturday, July 7, 2012

New shoe review by a cheater & inspirational running gear

It's been bothering me having so many posts about "stuff" lately. Even though it's running-related, I much prefer to write about running. It's just been strange lately that I've received so many free things. It's exciting but I just wish I could be putting more miles in to put it all into greater use.

For now, PATIENCE. In time, I'll build up my miles but need to take it one day at a time.

Recently, I was invited to participate in Mizuno's Mezamashii Project. I received an invitation in the mail and was asked to enter my code on the website. The site included a video describing the Project and then gave me a phone number to call to receive a free pair of shoes. After reviewing their running shoes, I selected a support shoe, the Wave Elixir.

The Mezamashii Project hope to help people "run brilliant." If you are interested, go to the link above and ask for an invitation to the project. 

I have been running since about 1988. Since then, I have run in Avia, Nike, New Balance, Asics, Addidas, Saucony, and Brooks. Never Mizuno. I have been a Brooks girl since ~ 2005 or 2006. I've always associated Mizuno with soccer and other team sport gear.

This past Thursday after the Fourth of July holiday, I stayed home from work in hopes of having the day off (little guy was at Gramma's). I got up, grabbed my Earl Gray, and decided to check work email. Time slipped by. At 10:30 a.m., the UPS driver dropped off the new Mizunos. I tore open the box and my first impression was:

1. Well, my eyes are awake now. Very loud. But they look FAST. And something about the pattern made me think of snake skin. Blue snake skin =>> FAST running shoes. 

I put them on my bare feet. My second impression was:

2. These are freakishly light for a support shoe. 


I really wanted to go for a run and check out these shoes but I felt like I was cheating on my Brooks. Plus, I was stuck working. I was trapped. NEVER check work email unless you won't mind working all day.

After wearing my new Mizunos all day at my computer, I finally detached myself at 4 p.m. so I could take the shoes for a spin. They were indeed very light for a support shoe. They were completely different from my Brooks Adrenaline. Not better or worse, just different. They felt like I was wearing a slipper - comparatively thinner outsole, particularly in the forefoot. In fact, they almost felt like a minimalist shoe. I could actually feel rocks & uneven terrain beneath my feet. This wasn't a bad thing, just quite different from my more cushioned Brooks and the Nike Pegasus I have around for walking. Despite feeling thinner in the forefoot, the shoe didn't feel hard or uncomfortable.

How should I describe these then?
  • Comfortable
  • Breathe well 
  • Lightweight
  • Responsive
  • Fun, WILD appearance
I will continue to test them out, along with my Brooks Glycerin. Can I see myself switching brands? Do I have to stick with just one brand? I don't know. But, I can say that after wearing Brooks for so many years, I am shocked at how different these feel.

For someone looking for a lightweight trainer that is very responsive for a support shoe, I would recommend they try on the Mizuno Wave Elixir.

********************************************************************************
One more thing about running "stuff." Not to marginalize this by putting it at the end of a post, but I wanted to mention a new brand of running clothes I recently heard about:
On July 1, janjii (also on Facebook HERE) debuted new running items. What caught my eye about this and what made me want to mention it here is that this clothing is inspired by flags from countries in need and the purchase of their items actually helps these countries. Their slogan is to "Run for Another."

From janji:

The design of each piece of Janji apparel is based on the flag of a country affected by the global food and water crisis. A portion of the proceeds from the apparel goes to fund sustainable solutions through an organization partnering with Janji:
-Each purchase of the Haiti apparel provides 3 lifesaving meals to a malnourished child
-Each purchase of the Kenya apparel provides a season's worth of water for a Kenyan family
New designs coming in 2013: Janji will support Bangladesh, Rwanda, and Tanzania with its running apparel. 
If you live in Seattle, you can view their products at our best local running store, SUPER JOCK & JILL in Greenlake. I haven't had a chance to go look at their apparel yet but when I'm up in that part of town, I will stop in to see janji items. If you go, please write me and tell me what you think!
 

13 comments:

  1. We must stop by Super Jock and Jill between eating all the things in August.

    Kind of neat that you received Mizunos to try too! As the only blogger on the planet not invited to the Mizuno Project thingy, I am very jealous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - those are some bright shoes! Slowly but safely with the mileage - you're getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to take a trip to Seattle just to go to the Jock and Jill store!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shoes! I got my very first pair of real running shoes at jock n Jill so many years ago. Love that store:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been Brooks Adrenaline for years and just tried a new shoe too. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT YOUR SHOES!! Those look sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, i just won on becca's blog and i am deciding what shoes to try. i have no idea. did the people on the phone help you or did you decide on your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I am curious to hear what you think of them. I picked a few models on my own then called them up. The person on the phone was somewhat helpful. She answered questions but didn't probe & steer me to anything in particular.

      Delete
  8. Nice looking shoes, they look comfortable. Congrats on getting the new gear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walking is the best provided you wear the proper shoes. Check this out:

    reebok i-run treadmill

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, gone through your site and found the shoes good.. despite of all the brands i was looking for something else that also have all the qualities like good sole, comfort to wear and this shoes seems to have all the qualities..just can say nice...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Motion Control shoes are made for feet which roll inwards too much, they overpronate. This is a good shock absorbing foot, which is fine for barefoot activities, but can cause injury if a shoe breaks down and won’t allow the natural movement of the foot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow nice running shoe it is awesome.

    visit my blog @ shoes

    ReplyDelete