Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chicago bound!

Ticket bought, it's happening!

Another training course for work in one of my favorite cities, Chicago. It seems I get there 1-2 times per year for the last several years and I love it. It's work-work but I've managed to squeeze in some fun stuff on previous visits, which is rare, including a nice run along the lake during my last non-winter visit.

What kills me about these trips to Chicago is that I still have not crossed Illinois off my list of states to race in, even though I've been there quite a few times recently. Well, I think I may be getting lucky on this trip. Even though I'm not running a lot of miles right now, I can certainly make it through a 5k.

I will be in town just Tuesday night through Friday afternoon and can you believe there is a 5k just a few miles from my hotel on THURSDAY night? I think I'm done with training at 5:00 so I will have JUST enough time to sprint to the hotel, change clothes, catch a cab to the start, register, then RUN.

I had been saving Thursday (my only free night) for a trip to Frontera Grill but I'll have to defer that pleasure to a quick lunch at XOCO on Friday instead. Believe me, this is a tough call because Rick Bayless food is better than drugs. For reals.

Anyone out there in Chicago-land planning on or interested in running a Thursday, July 26, 7:00 p.m. 5k, the 10th annual RUN FOR GUS at Diversey Harbor? 

"Run for Gus is a fun and inspiring event to raise funds for pediatric brain tumor research and Family Services programs at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago."


I'll probably do day-of-race registration since you never know what kind of kinks work can throw into a plan but I'm going to make every effort to do this race and add IL to my list of states raced. 

Fingers crossed no work fires are started. 

Any takers out there?


9 comments:

  1. I love to combine business trips with races. Sounds like so much fun! Hope it all works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll enjoy XOCO! Hope the race works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Davenport, Iowa and we'd take a few vacations when I was a kid to Chicago. Great memories. I've done a few races in Illinois - mostly Rock Island when I was younger....but I'm excited to do the Chicago Marathon this year. Wish I were there to join you this week. Well, actually, maybe not as it's going to be humid - hehe. Have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hope you get to run the 5k! A is on her way to Chicago this afternoon for a basketball tournament. What a great town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get to race. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! Chicago is a great city (even though I haven't been there in YEARS) and even better that you might get to race there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH I'M SO JEALOUS! I moved away before XOCO opened, but heard it's phenomenal and just as good (or better than) Frontera. I toy with the idea of going home and doing Chicago as my first Marathon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toy with the idea of moving to Chicago just so I can eat at Frontera Grill every week! Chicago would be a great first marathon. Go for it! Just be sure you have reservations for Frontera that night :)

      Delete