Monday, June 25, 2012

Mother runners

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE SEATTLE RNR FINISHERS THIS PAST WEEKEND!

The end of last week was packed with pre-Seattle RNR activities. The kick-off event was the Another Mother Runner party, hosted by local runner moms (Sarah!) and Dimity & Sarah of AMR. I grabbed my friend, Amy, for this event and we both had a lovely time. It was so great to see local bloggy ladies & meet new people!

It's so comforting and reassuring being surrounded by mother runners. It sounds strange but even though we may have different viewpoints on other issues or different ways of life, having motherhood and running in common is actually A LOT of common ground. You just KNOW what the others deal with in terms of digging deep for energy, juggling schedules to get long runs in, finding time for enough sleep, struggling with feeling guilty for taking time away from the family, and knowing how therapeutic and necessary those runs are.

Dimity & Sarah read parts of their new book, Train Like a Mother, giving us all some great laughs. I listen to AMR podcasts so their voices are not new to me but as I listened to their readings, I found it a bit strange that this first LIVE encounter with these ladies felt so familiar.






In between readings, Sarah & Dimity raffled off some fun products, including a jogging stroller! I got a great water bottle for being the longest running runner (I started in 1989, thank you!). Others won a Lucy gift cert (Mel!), Nuun products, compression wear, and more. My gal Amy won a Champion sports bra! Everyone then went home with a good bag filled with SofSole socks, Hyland's cures, and more.

And of course, we were able to pick up Sarah & Dimity's new book and AMR apparel. I picked up an adorable shirt: It's All Good, I Ran Today...




7 comments:

  1. Fun! Wish I was there:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wish I was there! Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had fun with you too! I had only heard about their books, but it was great to be there with all the ladies and learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun! You are lucky to live in runner's heaven! So many runners and bloggers around Seattle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so fun!! wish i could’ve been there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much fun was that!?! Dimity lives near me and Sarah paced me for a few miles of the Portland Marathon I ran in 2009....love those girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listen to their podcasts too. Sounds like a fun night!

    ReplyDelete