Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Muscle "poop," or gracias a Title IX

Page 98. 
A new, old term?

See "poop" image on left for herniated calf. Ouch!
My favorite friend bought this book for me at a garage sale last weekend, purchased from a former HS track coach:

Published in 1972, "a must for every Athletic Department!" 
There isn't anything about plantar fasciitis, as far as I can tell. But it does have a lot of other good taping info...particularly for men. All models are male; there is no female-specific injury addressed that I've found but certainly covers all other bases. For example: 

Groin Pull
 I wonder how long after the passage of Title IX before a book was released with female-specific taping illustrations? I take for granted my opportunities to engage in sports - my whole life. This is an interesting, and informative, example of the state of sports around the time I was born. 

Thank you foremothers! 





7 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool to look back at that. Times have changed, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that guys pooped calf. I wonder if I bought some taped and tapped my pooped calf like that book if it'd help, or if it only helps for males. :)

    My podiatrist tapped my PF. Didn't help and actually caused me blisters when I ran, but I gave him an A for using an entire roll of tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh... fascinating!
    One of these days I'd like to write a book about gender issues in running.
    (For now, my students get to hear me use these examples in class.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a strange book! Men can keep their taping and funny shaped calf muscles - women don't need that advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used KT tape for my PF and it's been a life saver at times. There are great videos on their website about how to apply it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Athletes are prone to body pains or maybe injuries. Being an athlete it is really good to read books that pertains to some body pains an athlete could have.

    causes of joint pain

    ReplyDelete