Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wanted: Female runners >65 yrs old

Is that you or do you know a female runner in the 65+ age group? If so, please read this message I received and feel free to contact:

Hi Alma,

My name is Theresa Rinehart and I am a 51 year old beginning runner in North Carolina. I’m also a student who recently went back to school to pursue a life long dream of becoming a nurse. I’m currently writing a paper on longevity for my Developmental Psychology class. I’m focusing on the power of running as a health intervention. I’m looking at the benefits to all runners such as feeling stronger, more energetic. and self confident.  But I’m also interested in the benefits to female runners such as increasing bone strength and perhaps an easier transition to menopause. The problem is I don’t personally know a woman runner over the age of 65. Would you consider giving a shout out to those that read your blog or maybe you know someone who could help me?

Please feel free to pass this e-mail along. I welcome hearing from any and everyone who is willing to share what they've learned by pursuing running as an older person. Why do they do it? How did they start running? Do they race competitively? What are the challenges? What's been their greatest triumph? You get the idea.

Thanks for your help. Alma.


Theresa
trinehart9473@student.vgcc.edu

3 comments:

  1. That's cool! I hope she gets some responses. I would love to hear about her findings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite over 65 ... but close. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close to 65 may be what I have to go with, Jill. Finding a woman 65 or over is turning out to be much more difficult than I imagined and I have a paper to write. I would love to speak with you if you're willing. You can contact me at the above e-mail address.

      Thanks for your help, Alma. I love your blog!

      Theresa

      Delete