Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The drop on zero drop

So as I analyze (obsess about) what led to this flare-up of plantar fasciitis and think about Jill, the SockDoc, and the last 2 years of changing my footstrike from massive heel-plant to a mid/fore-foot strike, I wonder...

...if it would be helpful to just ditch ALL my shoes that are not low or zero heel-toe drop? Any thoughts on this?

Even if I were to try, I find it challenging to even FIND low/zero drop shoes!

I've been looking on-line and have found Ahnu, Merrell, and Keen have some "barefoot" non-running shoes, which is great. I work in an office and fortunately, Seattle is fairly casual by many city standards, but I still can't really get away with wearing running shoes every day. Or can I? Don't really want to - I still like having cute shoes.

Does anyone have recommendations for other "business casual barefoot" shoes?

I think I will give different shoes a try with the goal of transitioning out of my traditional work shoes. In case you haven't heard, Online Shoes is a local (Seattle) company that offers a great selection of shoes and provides free shipping & returns.

*******************************************************************************

In other news,

  • I loved watching Boston on Monday morning, early, from my office. Pretty great race, especially given the HEAT.
  • I'm really liking Jillian Michael's "Ripped in 30" DVD. Tonight I did Level 2 for the first time and LOVED it. Great workout when you are short on time. I think my abs & arms will be feeling it tomorrow.
  • I can't believe Buddy & Mark walked out. It's a frackin' GAME, you agreed to the rules when you signed up!
  • Will NYRR do their lottery already? Am I going to NYC in November, or what?!

11 comments:

  1. When you find the solution to the problem of PF, pass it on! I have no idea whether mine is down to footstrike, gait, curved spine, shoes, too much running or what! Just keeping my fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. i hope we both get into HTC and NYC!!! how fun would that be. :) not sure about the shoe thing. i’ve thought about trying my newtons again. not sure if that is crazy or not. I live in my tory burch flats for work and that is it. i never wear heels anymore, and have to assume since they have little support that its helping build my feet up. or that is just me hoping so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'll have to look for those (ON SALE!).

      Delete
  3. Darn it, I am so sorry I dropped the ball and didn't get back to your email about the shoes. I'm not normally this flaky, just so incredibly busy with some personal stuff with my daughter. SO sorry.

    I emailed the Sock Doc a few times and showed him pics of my shoes and he told me which ones were okay and which were not. Danksos were high on the list of no-nos. Whaaa. I owned about 5 pairs, but I put them on Craigslist and people actually bought them. Who knew!?!? Anyway, I have some Mary Jane Keen's I wear now. 2 pairs of tennis type shoes which are really flat and 2 that are more dressy and have a bit more cushioning in them...those probably aren't as flat as the other Keens but they are not Dansko like. I also have a pair of Merrill Glove Mary Janes and love those. I can tell whenever my foot starts to get a little niggle in it, if I go barefoot awhile or wear some shoes with no heel drop, it really helps get it back inline.

    I so forgot to watch TBL last night...when I turned it on at 8:10, it was already over so I guess it was just an hour show last night? I got on FB to read all the hoopla. Sure seems like a bunch of babies this season!

    I need to try the Jillian DVD. I have these workouts from Bob, but it's not a DVD, it's just me looking at a piece of paper and so I'm not following anything but my own messed up head. Haha.

    Hope you're finding some relief with the PF. I promise to be a better emailer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! We are all busy busy. THanks for the head's up on your shoes. I'm online shopping right now & will definitely check the Keens. I will see if I can consign some of my dressier Ecco work shoes & same with Dansko though it pains me to part with them.

      Delete
  4. Try looking at Altra Running Shoes. They are not "barefoot" shoes, but "running" shoes with zero drop. I have a pair that I love and my wife loves hers so much she bought a second pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried those on the day I bought my PureFlows and really liked them. I contemplated getting those instead but I was afraid I would hurt myself in them if I switched right away as they are so close to nothing. I thought the PureFlows would be a better transition from a basic trainer. Hurt myself anyway - shoulda just gone for the Altras!

      Delete
  5. Kenneth Cole and BCBG flats (from an outlet, of course - I hate paying full price!) are my go-to shoes for work. Also, depending on how causal "casual" is, I bought a pair of Merrell walking shoes for when I travel (similar to these: http://www.zappos.com/merrell-lorelei-zip-black) and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a trip to DSW & Nord Rack is in order.

      Delete
  6. Oh snap. I have not watched last nights BL. I need to watch it now. Right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the NY lottery! I love Jillian Michael's workouts, but she is so bizarre in Ripped in 30! (She just says the strangest things!). I typically stick with 30 Day Shred because her personality is more normal in that one!

    ReplyDelete