Sunday, March 11, 2012

Master Plan 2012? (and my new Gnu!)

Last year was all about the Master Plan for 2011 (for kicking ass), and I had multiple iterations as the year evolved. This year, I've held back on formulating any plan, mostly because the primary focus this year is to make the little man a big brother while continuing to run and stay healthy.

Well, I really can't say when this all is going to happen and am frustrated with my failed RLRF 5k training that went kaput. The 5k is this coming weekend and I'm just going to run hard and see what happens without the speed work that I had hoped to get in. So, it's time to go ahead and put out a Master Plan for 2012. Today's 12-mile training run with a marathon-training friend sealed the deal - I miss those long runs!

Rather than plan out the entire year, I'm just going to take it race by race. After the St. Patty's 5k next Saturday, I'm going to focus on a half marathon. I definitely want to attempt the Furman FIRST / RLRF half marathon program again (can I muster the energy for this?) but I will need to cut it down from 18 weeks to about 10 or 12 weeks, which takes me to late May / early June.  What race to do?

Several race options are available (recommendations/reviews PLEASE!):
  • Capital City Half Marathon (Olympia, WA), May 20 - Just a little over an hour south of here, kinda early but do-able. I hear this is hilly. Anyone run this? Is it nice? 
  •  Coeur d'Alene Half Marathon (Coeur d'Alene, ID), May 27 - I need to check Idaho off my list and it would be nice to get some sun/lake time in as this is a Memorial Day weekend vacation potential.
  • North Olympic Discovery Half Marathon, (Sequim, WA), June 3 - I walked the half in 2010, it's a beautiful course. This would be an over-nighter but could be a fun weekend away that's actually quite close.
At this point, I'm leaning toward the NODM if I can't convince the hubs to go to Idaho for Memorial Day weekend.

Between now and half marathon time, I'd love to get in some shorter fun runs but will have to see what works with the schedule. Anyone have any Seattle-area 5k/8k/10k's planned? Seahawks 12k? Nordstrom Beat the Bridge? Top Pot Doughnuts 5k? Cinco de Mayo 8k?

Also, I'm hoping I can sneak in some late season snowboarding so I can test out my NEW GNU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gnu B-Nice
My 1999 Airwalk P.O.S. board disappeared in the blink of an eye on our way home from Whistler last weekend so I took advantage of late season sales today and picked up this beauty. I've ALWAYS wanted either a Gnu or LIB Tech (both made here in WA).

Megan @ Daily Sweat is a rad and much more knowledgeable boarder, so I asked her for advice about what to get. I was thrilled when the Gnu boards were at the top of her list. Now, I just need to get my butt up to the mountains!

Plan for the Week:
  • Not much in the way of a taper since I haven't really trained hard for the St. Patty's Day 5k anyway.
  • Swim/bike 2 days
  • Strength train / do PT exercises 2 days
  • Log 2 easy runs, 4-6 miles each - maybe attempt some mild speed work to get my legs ready for half training?

18 comments:

  1. Any chance you want to come down on 5/6 and run the Cinco de Mayo half in Portland (or 5k/10k) with me and Lisa J.? I've got a room already. I'll try to convince you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...i'll have to think about this one. I like the idea!

      Delete
  2. I am doing the NODM. Already signed up. I hear its beautiful. I am also doing the Seahawks 12k and the Beat the Bridge among others. Good luck in making your choices. There are so many fun races out there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top Pot Dooughnuts?
    Groovy :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Capital City last year in the pouring rain and loved it. Yes, it's hilly, but it's an interesting, varied course. You start by the capitol, go by a marina, through some rural areas, and back into more populated areas before finishing in the city. Two of my buddies are doing it, and I might too, as it is a drop-back week in my marathon training plan. One neat thing they have is a gear drop around mile 4, which is handy. No medal though. We got coasters last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran NODM as my first half marathon in 2010 and really liked the course. A few hills but nothing bad. I want to run this one again someday.

    I was actually looking into the Coeur d'Alene half marathon as a memorial weekend mini vacation. It's abou a 7 and half hour drive from Boise, not sure about it yet but it's in the back of my mind still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should do the Onion Man Tri in Walla Walla over Memorial Day weekend. =)I've wanted to do a half for a few years (hip pain stopped me last time), but now that I'm feeling good, I think that will be my goal next fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sprint tri's and looked at this one. The swim is waaaaay too long for me. I would drown. You should do it, visit the wineries, then tell me all about it!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am doing the cinco de mayo half in snoqualmie and also the capital city half in May! Haven't done either before but they look like fun races. I ran the NODM half in 2010 and the full last year. The course is beautiful and quite hilly but the race is really well organized and the volunteers and medal are awesome! See you on Saturday for the St Patty Day race :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You see, the swimming is my strongest leg, so I think I will like the Olympic distance! And I think I will enjoy the wineries the day after the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sprint tri's and looked at this one. The swim is waaaaay too long for me. I would drown. You should do it, visit the wineries, then tell me all about it!

      Delete
  10. liking the plan :) wishing i could come run one with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely run another race together one of these days.

      Delete
  11. Do the seahawks 12k! I'm doing that one (and st pattys!). Hello instant PR since I've never done a 12k before! :-) CDA is beautiful and flat, I loved that race. I did the NODM full in 2008 and it was also beautiful, though also very small and isolated at times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love beautiful courses so I would lean that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely think it's a good idea to take it one race at a time and not plan out a whole year. You just never know what's going to happen so I like to keep my options open!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the 5k!!!

    ReplyDelete