Sunday, March 25, 2012

Days 5 - 7: I'm contagious?

Day 5 was a rest day. I still can't put a lot of pressure on my left foot so being a good girl and taking it easy. Instead, I took the little guy to meet some friends at the pool (indoor) and we played in the water for 2+ hours.

Day 6 was supposed to be my 12 mile long run but the morning was out (had to schlep back to the pool up north to retrieve the swimsuits I left there the previous day). Duh. So, we made it a kiddie swim morning again. Later, I spent my free-time/nap-time shooting video for my Nuun Hood to Coast application video.

[I actually ran a bit for the video and it didn't feel great but it didn't seem BAD either, as long as I stayed up on my toes! Still plan on giving it some rest.]

Who knows what will come of the Nuun application but one thing I CAN guarantee you: I am making a total fool of myself. Just wait and you will see (I will post completed video application on due date).

Later in the evening, we got together with friends to celebrate a BFF getting an amazing score on a grant application that will land her an assistant teaching position at the University of Washington. Woot!

I didn't have the expectation of running 12 miles but I did have the high hope of spending an equivalent amount of time cross-training. Didn't happen today. Too much going on.

Day 7 was another opportunity to get that 12-miler in and with another day of rest (5 non-running days so far) perhaps "get" to do my mock run on the elliptical. I was thwarted though, because the Y doesn't open until 10 a.m. on Sundays (I would need to go around 6 or 7 a.m.) and I was getting picked up by the girls @ 11:30 for snowboarding.

No long run, fine. I wasn't sure how my foot would be snowboarding but I figured it was worth a try as this would likely be my last chance to board this season.

I headed up with the ladies to Alpental/Snoqualamie Pass and was excited to try out my new board. It was sunny, we had great tunes, and we were happy to be getting a day in together before the season's end. Well, we decided to warm up on an easier route and I discovered that my new board is FAST. Like scary fast. I now realize that my 10+ yr old board I had was pretty awful, so this is going to be an adjustment. I was falling all over the place but loving it.

As I came to the end of that first run, I saw "B" in a pile with estranged skis and poles not 30 yards from the bottom. I pulled up (thankful now that I didn't make a wise-crack about her yard sale maneuver) and thought she had a bad but funny fall, would collect her things, and we'd be off. Not so much.

She said she had felt a "pop" in her calf and when she tried to get up, found she couldn't walk. (Oh, I so know that feeling.) She gradually hobbled down in her boots. Poor, poor B. I think at a minimum she must have torn her calf, even worse than I did during the Seattle RNR marathon last summer, but I'm hoping it's not more. I feel like this calf tear thing is contagious or maybe this is just what happens to everyone when they turn 39?

With that, the day was done.

My foot is getting better though I'm still walking on just my toes on my left foot. I will do some weights and cross-training tomorrow as planned then try to get an easy run in the following day.

Crossing my fingers that the run is all good.

13 comments:

  1. Don't say that about calf tears, I am 39!! Let's hope I can make it to my 40th in December without major injury! Good luck for the run, hope the heel holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your NUUN vid. How long are they accepting them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Applications are due next Monday!

      Delete
  3. I think you are contagious. My 10 on Sunday went to 6, then finished with 3. A 3 mile long run is not acceptable! Left feet be damned! Time to heal up and get with the program.

    I've only been snowboarding once. I fell all over the place. I think it's so cool that you can do it and had a great time with girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the Nuun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your friend! Hope she is ok! I am so pumped for you applying for Hood to Coast. I wish you luck! I can't decide whether or not to just apply for fun, mostly because I have a great idea for a video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just do it, the relay it a blast!

      Delete
  6. I hope your friend is okay and your foot feels better. So now I know what I have to look forward to when I turn 39?:) Nice work getting some cross training in. Can't wait to see your video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wait, why did i think you weren’t going to apply this year? i’m soooo excited that you did!!! pretty sure i’m going to look like an idiot too. :) poor B. i hope you aren’t contagious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I wasn't going to. It's an awesome relay and I thought I wouldn't be available in Aug but now I'm open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh. I hope your foot gets better soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your foot! I hope it gets feeling better soon! And sorry about "B". Injuries are so NOT fun! I can't wait to see your application! That would be an amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everytime someone comes trail running with me they roll or sprain their ankle - I feel cursed too! I know that rolling your ankle is common on trail runs but it feels really bad to watch your running partner limp back to the car.

    ReplyDelete