Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 3 & 4 - Half marathon training


Day 3 – Still hobbling from plantar fasciitis in left foot. It was a cross-training day so I just did some strength training and my physical therapy exercises at the Y. I bailed on the actual aerobic cross training simply due to being sad and also being short on time. I dropped the pull-down from my strength routine since I’ve incorporated pull-ups and my goal is to keep this routine as short as possible (30-35 minutes).

Meanwhile, I iced and gobbled ibuprofen all day.

Day 4 – Tempo Thursday became a cross-training day since I was still hobbling. I had hoped to do my 5 mi tempo (goal pace = 8:01) on the elliptical but I just couldn’t bear my weight on my left foot. Damn. So, the bike became my outlet. 

Stats: 10.7 miles in 42:13, avg RPM = 98 (aside from my warm-up/cool-down, my goal was to be above 100 RPM).

More icing and anti-inflammatory ingestion today. Also, after seeing comments on Day 2’s post, I think I need to modify my training plan (assuming I can start running again soon). This just sucks and I don’t want to tempt my plantar fascia to put me through this again. With this in mind, I will incorporate two changes:
  1. No track work. Although I was able to rock my track workouts during last year’s half marathon & marathon training program, I’m going to cut those out on this go-around. I will keep tempo runs and want to do some form of interval training, but perhaps to just do it all on the bike instead of the track. I’ll replace a cross-train day with an easy mid-distance run since I’ll be doing a speed day on the bike.
  2. Brooks PureFlow shoes will take a little break and I’ll just gradually build up miles in them, beginning with ~ 2 mi run. If I feel ANY tightness, will back off.
Plan for the long run…? It would be great if I could at least ellipticize my 12 mi long run this weekend. If not, I guess I’ll do a combination of swim/bike for 2 hours instead? 

For all the locals, the snow is supposed to go away and spring should come by this weekend.
Good luck to everyone running the Mercer Island Half Marathon this weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Keep your head up...you'll be back to running in no time! Good use of the bike and elliptical though! So happy spring like conditions might actually be here in time for Mercer...woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's smart to slow it all down. Darn it. I love the track too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your PF. I struggle with it too:( Rest, ice, Advil repeat. Actually, I have been getting massages for my legs and feet and it seems to really help if you have the time for that. I hope it feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooooooooo! This is terrible news. Best of luck, I really hope you stay on top of it. Evil PF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! So sorry to hear about your injury. I have had heel pain since I ran my first marathon last June, but it hasn't progressed into anything and it doesn't bother me when I run. Cross fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That darned foot! Hope it gets better soon. Nothing sucks more than having an injury that holds you back when you just want to get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear its still bothering you. I just know that ice and ibuprofen is going to kick in quick! Thinking more good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear the PF is hounding you again. I have nightmares STILL about my 2-year ordeal with it.

    You guys are having crazy cold weather and I just ran a race in record high temps. I think Mother Nature is a wee-bit confused!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your post. This very sad news. I hope you get well soon fast. You share such nice information about half marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hope you heal quickly! i think smart decision with the speed work and the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuck :-(

    I cannot imagine ellipticalling that much mileage. I'll be back to see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude. I think I might have PF, too. Or worse. Dude.

    ReplyDelete