Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 2 - Track Tuesday


Day 2 –  Oh what a day. I actually got up when my alarm went off at 5:40 a.m. No small thing. It wasn’t raining hard so I pulled on some “outside” running clothes, grabbed a water bottle with one scoop of HEED, and headed down the hill to the high school track (1.2 miles away). 

It was dark but not wet and a good wind whipped across the NW corner of the track.
This was my first track-based track workout since May 30, 2011 (the rest have been on the treadmill). I loved it – I was so excited to be on the track and have that butterfly feeling in my stomach that always comes when I step on a track.

There was one other guy jogging around the outside of the track when I arrived and after I warmed up, another guy showed up and started running the same workout as me on the opposite side of the track: We began and finished our workout at the same time, he ran 6x800m running his repeats at nearly the same time (only he was a bit slower).

My goal time for each 800m repeat (based on my recent 5k finish time) was 3:28 with a 90 second rest interval. The first was 3:17. Too fast. What the heck? Not sure how I managed that. The next 2 were still below my target time so I was working on relaxing the pace a bit. Finally on my 4th repeat I was getting tired and hit a 3:27. I started on repeat #5 and as my second lap started, my left foot screamed. It was my plantar fascia.

No. You’ve got to be kidding me. It’s only Day 2! It wasn’t crippling so I kept going but relaxed the pace. Finished in 3:29, which was good. After that, I took a longer rest interval and did some dynamic stretching. And I thought. In 1994/95 I had to take a whole YEAR off from running due to plantar fasciitis. Since then, I’ve felt it creep up and warn me but I can usually take care of it with some icing, stretching, massage, and rest, such that it hasn’t really impacted my training. 

Why now? Hmmm, well, my calves were tight beginning last week with my first attempt at speed work. Then there is the fact that my next two runs (on tight calves) were in my new Brooks PureFlow shoes which have a lower heel drop. One of those runs was a race. Perhaps I rushed myself into this new shoe. Dumb, dumb, dumb! 

Against all better judgment, I finished my last repeat in 3:47. In total pain. To get through, I had to run on the outside of my left foot around the track. After, I hobbled up the hill back home. I was resolved to stay positive, thinking that it’s early in my training and I can whip this thing nearly as quickly as it hit me. 

Quick preparation for work and I boarded the train for downtown. On the way, I ran into a neighbor who was visiting his chiropractor. (Neighbor just wrote a humor book, check it out: I Hate Your Pet!) I ended up following Mr. I Hate Your Pet to his appointment and lucked into a massage right away due to a cancellation. 

I had never seen this therapist before but I was desperate for some relief. Fortunately, this guy was awesome. He dug deep into my calves, finding spasms to work out, showing me stretches to ease the pain. Since then, I’ve been icing (frozen water bottle), stretching, and taking ibuprofen.  

Despite hobbling around and being frustrated all day, I finished Day 2 off with a great dinner from a British chef, Patrick Holford, who makes low GL recipes. The ingredients are quite different from those we commonly use here. Well, some things are the same but with different names (courgette vs zucchini, aubergine vs eggplant) but others are just plain different. Usually, I guess at a substitute. Anyway, last night I made a great mixed grain salad with roasted peppers, zucchini, garbanzo beans, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, mint, and salmon with a lime, cumin, coriander dressing. 
Makes for good lunch
Day 3 will be a cross-training and weight training day, which will be a good rest for my foot. I am not sure if I’ll be running my Tempo Thursday workout or weekend long run. 

One day at a time.

7 comments:

  1. hmm…you know i had to give up my pure connects bc of my foot pain-i even tried to wear them yesterday and within 2 steps i could feel it. totally bummed. still had impressive times for your splits though!! and one day at a time is right. i think i have given up on my speed work until the fall and just going to enjoy the next few races. my body is tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always working to keep PF at bay. I try to stretch on a regular basis but don't do well on my swimming days. I felt mine just a little tonight (also doing speed work) and it always makes me sooooo nervous. Good luck with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I backed off of the speedwork because of pains in my foot. Now, after this past weekend, my left foot is a bit achy. I hate not being able to train fast, but I don't want to be sidelined. Dang it, I hope you can beat this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your PF! My mom sleeps with the boot thing sometimes to help ease hers (she gets from tennis). I hope that it goes away quick and doesn't cause you any major problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food is most important part in every person's life. You share such nice tips and training for make good lunch. I hope you measure this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That track workout sounded wonderful... all until the PF bit. Keep icing and maybe it will get better quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, glad you got it checked out immediately. I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete