Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A year ago today I...

  • was only 38!
  • celebrated my 8th wedding anniversary
  • had just completed the New Orleans Rock & Roll Half Marathon - almost on a whim
  • was in Week 2 of the Run Less, Run Faster / Furman FIRST half marathon training program
  • was injury-free

Today, I...
  • am only 39!
  • will celebrate my 9th wedding anniversary and birthday by playing hookey from work with my husband. snowboarding is out (see issue below), so maybe a movie and lunch? ideally, we'd go get tattoos but in all these years, I have yet to convince hubs to do this with me.
  • am *trying* to train for a 5k on St. Patrick's Day
  • hope that I can become injury free in time for that 5k
  • expect to set several P.R.'s later this year (a new type of P.R., that is)

Ramblings...


Lately, I've been walking around with a hitch in my get-along and wondering, "What the butt?" Something crazy was going on at the top of my hamstring / base of my glute. This irritation appeared out of no where. I took a week off and it's much better though not totally resolved. I was relieved that Saturday's 8-mile run for Sherry Arnold did not leave me with regrets.

Three days ago, I had a fantastic run in the pouring rain. Some days, it just feels good to get wet. I thought I looked like a drowned rat until I actually saw a dead rat on the side of the road and hoped that I did not resemble that guy. Blech. That run was supposed to be a track workout but with my patchy training and the "what the butt" thing going on, I had decided that I need to drop the speed work and just log some regular miles for a while.

Two days ago, I was walking home from the train in my brown MaryJane Dansko's. Pretty much every day in the fall/winter, I wear either my brown MaryJane's, black MaryJane's, or brown clogs. All Dansko. Not the most attractive shoe, but quite comfortable. The problem with these shoes though is that they are TALL. Sometimes I fall off of them.

Two days ago, I fell HARD. Pow. Right foot rolled in, ankle went out. "Ouch!" she exclaimed. "Damn uneven sidewalks!" Continued walking home only to have excruciating pain on the outside of my midfoot. I was convinced it would be gone by morning.

One day ago, I woke up with continued foot pain. I iced all day at work. Barely able to walk. Grimace. Grump. How do you tell the difference between a strain and a fracture?

Am I falling apart, just before I get into the master's running division?

Is it just bad luck? If so, will it happen in 3's? Do I need to wait for one more thing before this all turns around?

Can I blame Conda? Wait, it's the season of no excuses. I guess I just need to keep plugging away, one day at a time to get back to where I can run carefree again. 

Today, I woke up and the foot is still sore but it definitely feels less sore, I have less of a limp. I now have high hopes that I will run again. All is not lost! I won't cancel the doctor's appointment for tomorrow just yet but will be optimistic and go make a sacrifice to the Running Goddess to help speed this healing along (she appreciates chocolate).


I think my "take home" lessons from all this include:
  • Be wary of dead rats under foot after it rains.
  • Ditch the Dansko's, I'm lucky I haven't hurt myself worse for all the times I've rolled an ankle in those things.
  • Never, EVER, wear anything but running shoes, just to be safe.
  • The body's got more to say as she ages and I better listen more closely.

13 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Obviously the clogs are to blame. Ditch them, fast and hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 39th. May there be at least 39 more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!

    I did laugh out loud on the can I blame Conda comment. I am pretty sure I am not the only person who wants to throat punch her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so funny...I roll my ankles constantly when i wear my Dansko's.............BUT I LOVE THEM DEARLY:( what's with that???

    Awesome blog...came across it from my friend Annette! Looking forward to reading more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!!

    And yes, you can always blame Conda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday and anniversary! I like the idea of chocolate sacrifices to the running goddess (Athleta, I mean Atalanta, right?).
    Texting you a tattoo idea right now. You'll never guess what S did...

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday and anniversary!! i’d blame conda. that girl drives me crazy. actually the entire season does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday and happy anniversary, my young, fast friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I love my Danskos. I don't think of them as very tall. But you never know what can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I are in the same boat! It is driving me nuts, but I keep telling myself to be patient and I'll come back stronger.

    Happy Birthday/Anniversary, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your birthday and wedding anniversary! We are the same age, but I'll be 40 before the end of the year - I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a day late, but...
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Happy (belated, sorry) birthday!!! And happy (again, belated, sorry) Anniversary. How special are those to dates together - fun!! :)

    I have a slew of Dansko shoes but cannot wear them with my PF (only low to the ground shoes now)...what a waste of $$, those things are pricey!!!!

    ReplyDelete