Sunday, February 26, 2012

LSD

LSD (long slow distance) became LSD (long snow distance)
(Seattle style)

New runner friend, Sarah, had 15 miles on the books, in preparation for her first marathon. I'm not in shape for a full 15 (I wish), so I hung out for the first 8 of Sarah's run.

The night before our run, I fell asleep to the sound of POURING rain. When my alarm went off at 6 a.m., it was silent outside. NO RAIN. YES! And, it was 44 degrees at home, a perfect running temperature.

I was meeting Sarah on the Eastside (Redmond's 60 Acres Park) and as soon as I crossed over into the "Eastside," it started to sprinkle. Then it started to POUR. Drat!

As Sarah & I started our run, we started getting drenched. And something strange happened for Seattle...the rain turned to SNOW!

Sammamish River Trail, heading into Woodinville. This trail flows for about 11 miles then connects to the Burke Gilman trail, which runs another 20 miles into Seattle
Ok, it just looks like rain and really it was a very wet, cold rain-like snow. It was an unexpected, FUN, turn of events.

Sarah on the trail

At the turn-around point - it's sticking!
The snow started to stick a bit as we headed north (lookie!). ALMOST real snow. You folks out in ME, VT, and IL think this is hilarious, I'm sure. By the time we made it back to our cars (my drop off point), we were soaked - feet squishing in the shoes, clothes weighing an extra 5 lbs in water weight. I felt odd leaving Sarah to run another 7 on her own but the rain/snow lightened up a bit and she lived to tell about it.

This was my third run with Sarah and I look forward to the next. 

So here's the cool thing: Sarah and I (and other women around here) met via a Facebook running group site that Kerrie (MomvsMarathon) set up for Women Runners of King County (WeROKC). This site was a brilliant idea and has helped many of us women runners organize for weekend runs and races.

Do other folks out there organize and have "blind running dates?"

13 comments:

  1. Having lived in New England and spent many weeks in Seattle, I understand both sides of the "oh my god, snow!" spectrum. :)

    I've had a couple of running blind dates while traveling, but never in my hometown (unless you count showing up to a group run for the first time as "speed dating").

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to run in the snow! I forgot how wet it can be, though. Nice job on 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fun! Does WeROKC ever venture to Snohomish county? I would love to do some of the runs. I don't have Facebook though. Great job on your 8 miler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone up in Snohomish I'm afraid. If anything we tend to congregate down toward Tacoma (for races).

      Delete
    2. Have you ever done the Tacoma narrows half in August? I plan to do that one for the first time this year.

      Delete
  4. Fun, fun! I wish we had a running group here. I did get stopped by an old man who wanted to make sure I didn't need a ride, so that was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This weekend's snow has been much more run-friendly than last month's snowcopalypse! :) Yesterday I did a 10K in LaConner and dreaded rain, but we only got light snow (perfect) and wind (not perfect). This morning I woke to a dusting of snow on the ground but did 18 miles under partly sunny skies...and the sky is still blue in mid-afternoon. A perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my running buddies I met on daily mile. The first meeting was a little awkward because you never know if a creeper shows up, but once we know this was not the case, it was a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fantastic to have that running group to meet other runners - you are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone is looking for great training plans that cover how to set goals, proper running form, determining your pace, nutrition, injury prevention and race day strategy you should really check these plans out. They have them for 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, Full Marathon at all levels - first time ever, beginner, intermediate and advanced. I PR'd using the full marathon plan, it was awesome.

    http://www.therunninghq.com/training-schedules

    ReplyDelete
  9. If anyone is looking for great training plans that cover how to set goals, proper running form, determining your pace, nutrition, injury prevention and race day strategy you should really check these plans out. They have them for 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, Full Marathon at all levels - first time ever, beginner, intermediate and advanced. I PR'd using the full marathon plan, it was awesome.

    http://www.therunninghq.com/training-schedules

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAY TO GO! Nice run! And I cannot BELIEVE it is snowing in Seattle again. I'm away and missed it! I met Lisa, one of my main running partners, through Craigslist!

    ReplyDelete