Friday, February 17, 2012

Back to bizarro RLRF programming?

This past fall, as I was recovering from my calf injury, I decided to start picking up the Run Less, Run Faster / Furman FIRST 10k training program but in a funky way. I made it the bizarro version of the program where I did my key workouts on the bike or elliptical and ran on the cross-training "easy" days.

I had hoped to get some new speed going for the upcoming St. Paddy's Day 5k (Tacoma, WA)  by taking on the RLRF 5k program in late January. All the cool kids were doing it.


Well, this What the Butt thing happened in late January so I jumped off the program to go easy on my hammy then this week, I turned my ankle and messed my midfoot up. It's getting better now and I think I should be able to run by this weekend.

But, this was another week OFF. I've only logged 22 miles this whole month.

I had been thinking I should scrap any idea of actual speed training and just log easy miles and have fun at St. Paddy's Day. Well, now I'm thinking that sounds like NO FUN. Instead, I should try the bizarro plan again. Maybe by the time the race comes, I'll be able to pull off a new Mark Remy PR (i.e., personal record in previous 2 years)?

YES. I will try bizarro training. No, wait, (just) trying is for little girls. I will do, I will do!

That means, on deck for next week:

Key Workout 1: 4x1200m @ 7:06 pace (400m RI) - Likely will do this on the elliptical
Key Workout 2: 3 mile tempo @ 7:46 pace - Probably the bike or maybe pool?
Key Workout 3: 7 miles @ 8:16 pace - Bike

In between, I'll get easy runs in with a target of 30-45 minutes each run (3 runs total).

With some luck, I'll do this WITHOUT falling down, tripping, or otherwise hurting myself.


8 comments:

  1. I hope you heal by race time. I'm doing the St. Paddy's day race in Seattle. Sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your dedication and determination. i feel a PR in your future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting, I'm kind of doing RLRF too but haven't thought of doing some of The speed workouts on the elliptical!! I'm going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you should try wrapping yourself in cotton wool! Good luck with the recovery of your butt, and the training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in your training, and I hope you avoid any more injuries (falls, bumps on the head etc)!! :D
    I'm a new follower and blog at www.shushkat.blogspot.com about running, stop by n follow if you like it... I'd appreciate any comments and advice you can share :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the RLRF... a lot. I can't wait to get back to it after (if) the big one. I would never have thought of supplementing the elliptical. Might help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete