Sunday, January 8, 2012

Soma (Session 1)

My mom has been seeing a somatics practitioner for quite a few years now and credits her with improved flexibility and balance (things that help her keep up with our 2 year old). The soma treatments also help her with restless leg and plantar fascitis. 

Finally, I decided to give it a try. My husband and I each went to "Session 1," which focuses on BREATHING. The therapy is supposed to consist of 12 sessions that follow a progression. 

Somatics uses hands-on guided movement and self care exercises that lengthen muscles back to their natural, relaxed state and correct inefficient movement patterns.  Benefits include: 
• decrease in muscle stiffness
• reduction in pain using a natural and little known brain process
• decrease in stress and tension
• integration of how we move our entire body easily and surprisingly with little effort

So how was it?

At the beginning of the session, you stand in underwear and the practitioner checks out how you stand from the ends of your toes to the top of your head. At my session, "Ms. Soma" could pick out my leg imbalance (which caused my calf tear) and issues with my flat feet and all kinds of messed up stuff going on. 

I'm always trying to remind myself to stand up straight (thanks for the reminders Jamoosh & the Hard COREs) and it's effort. A lot of effort on my part - pretending there is a string pulling me up, checking my pelvis tilt, lifting my arches, checking my knees, etc. And, I often catch myself holding my breath. Not sure why other than I need to relax more. 

After my session today, I stood up again for inspection and it was completely effortless. It's difficult to describe, but it was like I was weightless, floating up almost. I was so very relaxed, but not like after a massage - it was completely different than at the beginning of the session. Also, I could breath so much easier, with deep, relaxed breaths. I felt like my breaths were what was making me stand up so easily? Or maybe it was just actually my bones and not my muscles that were having to work so hard?  

Right now, we're trying to decide if we're both going to continue with the full series of treatments. It's expensive but could help us both. 

Anyone out there tried soma? Thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. Never heard about Soma but it sounds very interesting! Should check out if it's somewhere around me available!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard about Soma, but I like the idea of finding muscle imbalances and working on those, so if that is what this is doing, I'd be all for it. Looking forward to seeing what you continue to do.

    ReplyDelete