Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A beer deferred

This is a crazy week. I arrived back home from our Hawai'i vacation on Monday morning, then was packing Monday night for a Tuesday flight to Chicago (work training).

I love this city!
Our flight out of Seattle was delayed and I didn't get checked into my hotel room until 7 p.m. My co-worker and I had made plans to meet at 8 p.m. to watch the State of the Union address and have dinner. It took until about 7:10 p.m. to find a place nearby that was actually showing it, instead of the Blackhawks (hockey town) or Michigan-Purdue ball game.

It was Tuesday track workout day and I really didn't want to miss it. What to do? With less than an hour, I knew I couldn't get a full workout in. It would have been easy to throw in the towel and head down to the bar early and have a beer. I was tired from the red-eye on Sunday night/Monday morning and then from traveling to Chicago.

My typical choice in this scenario (especially at night, in a city with fantastic food & brews) is to enjoy a hoppy drink. After all, what could I really accomplish between 7:15 and 8:00 p.m. (that includes time for a shower/change of clothes)? What's the point?

Hell didn't freeze over, believe it or not, but I DID defer the beer and sprinted to the hotel exercise room to test their treadmills. I figured I had time for exactly HALF of my speed workout. 

5k training plan:
10 minute warm-up
4 x 1000 m repeat @ 7:02 pace with 90 sec rest interval
10-20 minute cool-down

Reality:
7:25-7:30 = Begin 5 minute warm-up
7:30-7:36 = First 1,000 m repeat + 90 second rest interval
7:36-7:40 = Second 1,000 m repeat
7:40-7:45 = 5 minute cool-down
7:45-7:55 = shower, dress, race downstairs to meet co-worker
8:00 = Order well-deserved Goose Island ale / arugula and grilled shrimp salad

Now, I just need to remember that sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you've got and it's better than doing nothing at all!

My next challenge will be to get up early enough tomorrow morning to do my tempo run! 


7 comments:

  1. Hope you have a good tempo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's not easy to figure out your priorities - I really need to go for a run but I'd love a glass of wine right now...etc. Well done for getting something done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to squeeze it in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you can shower and dress in 10 minutes?? Fantastic usage of time my dear :) You definitely earned your beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would have been so much easier to skip this run. Good job on getting it done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is some seriously impressive timing. wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAY TO GO! Seriously. I need to remember this post when I face a similar choice when pressed for time and facing a delicious beer. Just like they always say, you never regret going for a run, just regret not doing it. NICE WORK!

    ReplyDelete