Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Can I get another "do over?"

Ever since early October, I've been struggling with this pattern of getting in a couple weeks of good training to rebound from my injury, only to be followed up with a few weeks of down-time. Down-time due to work, sickness, and/or travel. Life.

So when I thought things were going so great in early November, when I hit my first speed workouts since June, I got smacked down. Now it's a month later and I'm heavier (= slower) and sucking wind.

Do over! I want to go back to October and start my 5k training again! I want to get back to 8:00 miles! 

My upcoming 5k on Saturday will not be the big race I had hoped for but I still hope to dig deep and try to gut out a decent time (8:30 pace?!). Then, I have a half marathon two weeks later. And another half marathon three weeks after that!

This IS my do over week. I'm focusing on just getting my routine back. Then next week, after the 5k, I'll have 5 weeks of half marathon training, which will include a half, half-way through. Ha!

Here is my completely bastardized Furman FIRST/Run Less, Run Faster program cut down to 5 weeks (though I will not hold myself to specific paces for now; will just increase exertion level):

Obviously, the half marathons will have to be easy runs since I'm in no shape to push hard but both are in nice settings so I will certainly enjoy the ride.


5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I wonder what pace "easy" equals for you in Maui? Maybe we can at least start out together...Can it really only be 5 weeks away? Can't wait! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will get back to it, no problem. i am kinda wondering where my speed went too but reminding myself that I am training for the dumbest race in the world and speed doesnt matter. but it will come back. for both of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really know what you mean - the last few months have been full of colds and illness, and now I'm just too buy with Christmas stuff to go for long runs. Good luck with it, and enjoy the half marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did
    you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz reply as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

    Also visit my web blog workouts to improve vertical

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe
    for a blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

    Visit my page exercises to increase vertical leap

    ReplyDelete