Sunday, October 16, 2011

What? I'm not Wonderwoman?

UNCLE.

I THOUGHT I could do it all, but sometimes something has to give. (I spent my childhood wishing I could be as amazing as Lynda Carter - little-known fact about the Average Woman Runner.)

Click here to purchase at Easyart.com
My hubs has been traveling, work is INTENSE and requiring me to put in extra hours at all hours & days, and I just didn't have time last week for me. At all. I ran Monday (felt great!) knowing it might be my one run all week due to limited child care while hubs was away + busy work, and sure enough, that's all I got.

Today, I got to sneak another run in and it felt SO GOOD after being sedentary all week. I didn't even bike to work last week, I was so pressed for time and worn out! ACK! Well, I'm hoping that today's new POST-INJURY run record (50 minutes, yo!) helped keep my ass from becoming chair shaped...for a couple more days anyway.

I have a HUGE report due Friday so the end is in sight but it's not going to be pretty.

Right now, I'm squeezing a few minutes in to blog as I wait for some risk calculations to come in. I'm at a road block on my work progress so I wait...

and try not to sweat about work...

but the clock is ticking...

and this is when I need the physical sweat the most:  To force me to take deep breaths!

That's how it always goes, right?

I've been meaning to write about how this bizarro-Furman FIRST training thing has been but I've really only completed one week so far. The week before last, I ran easy for my cross-training days and then did my weekly 3-mile tempo on my bike by chugging really hard for 25 minutes, as an equivalent workout.

Then, my "track workout" of 6 x 400m (I cut it down from 8 reps due to time limitation) was done on the elliptical. WTH IS that thing? I kept wanting to pick my feet up, which would then cause me to hit the (moving) footbed and it was all I could do to keep from falling off. And the arm thingys? Forget it.

Anyway, I had a target pace for the 400m repeats so I just went ALL OUT for 1:51 and then took the standard 90-sec rest interval as some "easy ellipticizing." It definitely got my heart rate up so I'm hoping it builds the cardio strength I need when I get back to the regular Furman program. Just not sure about the leg strength improvement.

As soon as I get through this work crunch, I'll get back to training, which includes runs up to 50 minutes now (woot!) and other big, running-related news to share...

BTW - For a little news post-Paula Radcliffe's meeting with the IAAF on 10/12, read HERE.

6 comments:

  1. If you are worried about leg strength make sure you up the resistance. I didn't discover until after a year of off and on use that if you upped the resistance that it actually gave you a workout! i don't know if I got any leg strength from using the eliptical since I lift weights. Good Luck! Those cross-training activities should help with your endurance! Just keep up the intensity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 minutes! yay! What's this big running related news.... do tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the BIG news,I want the big news!!!

    Hope you get back to training soon for some sanity!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you on the super busy week! (Maybe it's going around like the flu?)

    And THANKS for the IAAF link. I hadn't seen that news yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Furman FIRST program. I have gotten tons of PR's by using it! Blessings as you run!

    ReplyDelete