Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Salvaging the Master Plan for 2011 (10k training plan)

The salvage of the Master Plan for 2011 is in progress but the training will begin next week (finally!) and the first three weeks will include these [adulterated] workouts:



The rehab running is coming along but as I mentioned a little while ago, I've been trying to claw my way out of purgatory. When I was first injured, my PT thought I'd be able to train again after 12 weeks. Well, I'm at 12 weeks and I still have pain after running. It's discouraging. It makes me wonder when I'll be able to run carefree again?

The problem is...I gotta train or I'm going to freak out. So here's the deal:

I'm going to bite off what I HOPE is a more manageable portion...a 10k. I've been deliberating between a 5k and 10k and am going to err on the side of optimism. I am hopeful that taking on the 10k program will be feasible and also provide a safe transition to half marathon training at the end of the year (or sooner?).

There will be no marathon training in my future, not for at least a couple years. 

But wait! How can I train when I'm still having pain after running? I'm going to try something a little different.

Nope, I'm NOT giving up on the Furman FIRST / Run Less, Run Faster program. I'm DEFINITELY going to use their 10k training program because I LOVE the workouts, the structure, and the results.

The Furman FIRST program is based on THREE focused runs: a tempo run, intervals, and long run, which are supplemented by TWO or more cross-training days. I really can't take on speed work at this point, so this is where the adulteration takes place:

  • Instead of swimming/biking on the two+ cross training days, I will do my easy rehab running. Running will be my cross-training! 
  • Instead of hitting the track and roads for my running speed work, I'll use my typical cross-training activities for speed. I won't really be able to go by distance, just by time. So, a 10 x 400m track workout with a goal of 1:39 per repeat could become a hard swim effort of 10 x 1:39. 

Getting my heart rate up for equivalent run-time periods seems like a good second to running and also gives me a focus to keep from going mad. My hope is that sometime during the 10k program, I'll be able to switch it back to normal and start actually RUNNING the key runs.

If I plan for a 12-week program, the Santa Runs Tacoma 10k on December 17th (recap of the 5k last year) falls within my .

This makes me feel much relieved to have something to focus on. I don't know how it will work out, but I'll give these first three weeks a try and then re-evaluate.

7 comments:

  1. I used their 10K training plan and it killed me. All the runs are quite fast and it surprised me to run so many runs longer than 10K. But I also took 5 minutes off my prior 10K time using the plan so there's that. :)

    I'm glad you found a way to do structured training but still play it smart with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. I think you are showing 3 running days and 2 cross training days, just mixing up the RLRF plan. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me - take care with that injury...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with this. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully understand the need to have a plan of some sorts, for your sanity. It took me a very, very, very long time to let all plans go ... I was literally at a place where every step I took was excruciating and I was delusional to think I could try some sort of bargaining with God (I promise, God, that I will never say the Goldfish water stinks ever again if you just let me run!!)...and that is a very difficult thing to accept. When we have goals, we have hope, and isn't that what this is about!?!? I'm glad you have something in place and I cross all my fingers and toes that this will work for you. I love your determination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Focus! I'd love to do that race too and wear santa gear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels good to have a plan doesn't it! I hope all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete