Monday, September 26, 2011

10k training delayed by the croup

Who ever heard of croup? Not me (until today). Apparently it's laryngitis for tots, is not uncommon to see in them at this time of year, and can land you in the hospital the morning you are supposed to start your 10k training.

Despite how much I obsess about training, there are things more important than running and Baby F trumps all. When Baby F woke up at 5 a.m. today with bluish lips and panicking because he couldn't breathe well, we rushed him to Children's Hospital here in Seattle. After several doses of racemic epinephrine and some steroids, his breathing is easier. As I write, he is sleeping quite soundly.

We should be released from the hospital tomorrow morning but I'll be busy watching our little guy like a hawk once we get home. So, I will not be starting training this week but should be able to get it going next week. Also, we will be canceling our weekend getaway to La Jolla. So sad because we were all looking forward to some SoCal goodness: sun, sand, friends...sun. We should be able to reschedule for later this month?

Silver lining of staying at the hospital:
Our room has a view of the new wing being constructed here. This means we had excavator, crane (Cranky), front end loader, and dump truck action ALL DAY LONG. It was a 2-year old's dream. The only thing that would have made it better is if a helicopter had landed in the middle of it all OR if a Thomas the Steam Engine had cruised through.


Before I sign off & get some sleep on the sofa-bed...

Congratulations to Anne who triumphed in her first marathon and to Megan, our local Oiselle athlete, who competed in her first Olympic distance triathlon this past weekend. Nice job ladies!



11 comments:

  1. My little sister had recurring bouts of croup when she was a baby. It's scary. Glad your little one is better and hope you get to reschedule your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had heard of croup but thought it was associated more with newborns for some reason. Hope your little guy feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon. I thought croup was when they coughed a lot, "barking like a seal". What do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez that must have been scary! I'm glad to hear he's recovering (and that he has enjoyed the view -- nice way to look at the bright side). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope he's back to himself very soon! I thought croup was the barking cough too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man croup is no fun - my daughter has had it three times. Thankfully not bad enought to be hospitalized but we have ahd a 2AM ER visit. One good thing about fall the cool are is helpful for relieving the cough that will come along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. poor little guy! hope he’s feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your son is better and how nice of the hospital gave you such a good room for him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My little boy had croup a few weeks ago and I think we may have been in the same room at Children's! I took him in at midnight, after being up since 5:30 in the morning and running 18 miles that day. It was insanely stressful - the medication didn't work for him. It all ended OK though. Croup is no joke! Now, go get training! It's a great stress reliever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard of croup but never did any of my kiddos have it. UGH. I hope he gets better soon, absolutely zero fun at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a horrible time for you. Hope the little one is feeling better, and you are not too stressed.

    ReplyDelete