Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rehab plan

This is what WAS in the Master Plan for 2011 (for kicking ass) for July through early October, in preparation for the Portland Marathon (using the Furman FIRST full marathon training program). I'll revise the plan once I'm back to running and try to salvage what is left of 2011. If it takes a full 12 weeks to recover though, the year will almost be shot and I may just focus on running the Seattle Half in November (and maybe RNR Las Vegas in December?).

And I was going to rock this plan. *sigh* 

My Portland Marathon registration likely will be down-graded to the half marathon. But first, I need to get healed up. Orders from Dr. Brian PT are to work on my core and do some circuit training to stay strong. Of course, I also need to do my PT exercises and keep up my cardiovascular fitness. 

Dr. Brian said I have NO EXCUSE to let my fitness go. That's tricky when all I can do is get into the pool right now. I'm hoping that within a couple weeks, I can add some elliptical and cycling to this plan. Until then, I will use swimming/aqua jogging and circuit training to stay fit. 

SUAR sent me a link to a fantastic article she wrote for Athleta about aqua jogging, in which she includes a link to an actual pool running training plan. I think this is the only way I will survive. If I don't have an actual plan to follow, I will sink & drown in boredom. So, for the "swim" days below, I will incorporate workouts from this plan and if I get comfortable with the technique, I will add additional days. 

As I make progress, I will continue to fill the recovery plan, below, with additional training until I can get to the Portland Half in early October. Part of me still wants to hold on to the idea of doing the full (but not at BQ pace this time) by just training in the pool. SUAR did it! Deena Kastor did it! I can do it too? 

We'll see what Dr. Brian PT says... 


13 comments:

  1. Keep your eye on the goal and stay motivated. I think it's a great idea to write up a plan to stick to. Good luck - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recovery plan is a great idea!! I'm always need a plan and why not for your recovery? :) You are doing awesome with staying on track. I wouldn't be surprised if your recovery goes much faster than expected :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following a plan definitely helps me stay on track...hang in there Alma, do your thing and who knows what wonderful surprises the future holds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a girl who needs a plan, too. I spent three months doing nothing but swimming at the beginning of this year. Even though you go a little nuts living through it, once you're healed it'll be just a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this makes me sad! All your hard work and then an injury happens at the worst possible time :( I know you will recover and come back stronger than ever, but it still blows. Sending positive vibes your way for a speedy and successful recovery

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably the best way to get through the recovery phase. Hang in there and work at this plan of yours. You'll come out strong on the other side. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recovery plan sounds great, and I totally believe you will be a stronger runner for it. Keep those year-end race possibilities in the back of your mind to help you stay motivated through your recovery plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was injured I so badly wanted a crystal ball to know what to do! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think doctors underestimate how important running is to us; being sidelined for over a year, I'd get to the gym to do whatever I could yet my heart wasn't in it. Some days were good but many not and as the weeks progressed into months, my psyche turned to crap and it was just very hard (being in pain daily ...I mean, really!) I hope you are able to stay focused and it sounds like it's not going to be too too long before you can begin running again if you're thinking a marathon in December. Someone is trying to talk me into RnR Vegas...maybe we could meet - the recovered injured runners recovery marathon :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recovery plan. Healing first cause you want to run for a long time to come. I know you will rock your goals!
    Staying postiive will help your heal physically and mentally :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The rehab period is tough - especially if none of the options are appealing. Just stay focused and positive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you have a plan and know what you're going to do to come back! I'm so sorry to hear about your calf. So disappointing. I'm glad you've got a good PT to help you get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete