Monday, June 27, 2011

The good before the bad & ugly

THANK YOU

everyone for your comforting words and encouragement. My family, friends, and co-workers have been very sweet the last couple days as I am still reeling from Saturday's outcome. However, the comments left by everyone here have been especially comforting because YOU KNOW what it's all about. You can empathize with this whole situation because so many of you also have had the experience of training for days, weeks, months, for one single event and then have it all fall apart for one reason or another. 

These past 5 months have been the hardest I've trained for anything since college...and I've had more fun with my training than I've had in years. I've relished challenging myself each workout with the demanding paces that the RLRF program dictates. These past few weeks, in particular, I've enjoyed surprising myself with running paces and distances that I never thought possible for me. I'm just an Average Woman, after all!

So right now, I'm still heart broken and frustrated at not getting to see the final product of months of preparation, at not being able to put myself to a great test. I'm going to try not to wallow too long but I'm sure I'll have my moments. This morning, for example, I had to walk down the street where my injury occurred as I was going from the doctor's office to my work and I just LOST IT. I started bawling right there on Columbia St. 

My challenge over the coming weeks will be to keep a positive attitude, maintain my motivation to cross-train (I think I should be able to swim, at least with a pull buoy?), and do whatever my physical therapist tells me to (first appointment on Friday). 

Ok, so I've wandered from my original goal, which was to focus on the GOOD before the bad & ugly happened:

FRIDAY - RNR EXPO was great with a couple girlfriends. Lots of good, tense energy!

Friend, K, ran the half and had a great time. 
This was "A's" second half and she improved her time by over 10 minutes!
The beautiful Seattle RNR course
After the Expo, I had just enough time to get my race gear ready and rest up before the big bloggy dinner that Tall Mom Mel planned for us. There were 30+ runners/bloggers at the meeting and unfortunately, I didn't get any photos. A BIG THANKS to Mel for organizing us and also thanks to:

Online Shoes for providing all of us with sweet gift bags containing shirts, coffee mugs, water bottles. 


Also, thanks to NUUN and GU for providing samples. 

I was super happy to meet JESS @ BLONDE PONYTAIL and sample her delicious peanut butter protein bars! And oh, you should have seen Tressa (Training with track coach and adorable wife) with her adorable mama belly (yes, she's in labor NOW)! Check out My Marathon Diaries for pics from dinner.

The morning of the race, I was able to spend time with a long-time runner friend, Ginger Breadman, to whom I confessed my Master Plan for 2012 (oh yes, I'm already planning though it's definitely going to be tweaked a bit based on Saturday's events). Prior to the start, I ran into a couple friends out & about the corrals (how does that happen among 28,000 people?!!), which really jazzed me up. 


Then, there was the quick pre-start blogger photo op. I didn't have my camera but I'm hoping I can pilfer everyone's blogs & Facebook sites as the race re-caps start popping up. Here are a few I've stolen already:  
We've got Jess, Kasey, Mel, Jesse, Amanda, Kerrie, me, Jill, Zoe...and more! 
We also saw the infamous and famous EMZ who was flashing her incredible abs of titanium - strong but light as a feather - but somehow missed her in this photo. On the way to my corral, I ran into Endorphin Dude, remember him? I met him on the SWA flight from SEA to NOLA for the RNR NOLA Half


Pre-race, I crinkled my race bib for good luck... (see, all was right in the world. How in the heck did I get injured??) 


And during the race, I was all smiles as I was hitting my mile splits and got to see my hubs, baby F, cousin Mary & Co, and BFFs C & B who were out to cheer for me. THANK YOU! And thanks to other girlfriends who were patiently waiting at mile 17 for me, until they got the phone call from hubs that I was done early. 

Chelsea was fantastic and was on the course cheering for all the bloggy ladies with her mimosas & cow bell! Apparently, she also had hung a sign for Kerrie, Zoe, and I at mile 16 but I obviously missed that... You can see photos of her awesome signs HERE

En route, I saw Mel, Amanda, and Jess around mile 4 (holla!!) then on the out & back on I-90, I saw Ginger Breadman, EMZ, and Jesse, which gave me a huge boost. And one silver lining of walking in to the half marathon finish after my calf exploded, I got to cheer for Carla as she ran by in her HOT PINK tank & camo outfit. 

HOW IS THAT FOR NAME-DROPPING? 

Really, it was incredible being around so many familiar faces amongst the sea of runners. Definitely a great example of how this blogging community makes the world cozier and more fun. 



11 comments:

  1. It really does make it more fun and definitely helps during the lows with such a great community. Can't wait to hear your 2012 plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked over your training and paces (yes, I'm a stalker) and I am so impressed with how the program worked for you.... so so so impressed. I'm giving the program another shot and actually raeding the book the full way through and planning out my workouts instead of calling it quits after a few weeks. My paces aren't really getting any better and my legs feel pretty beat up. I want progress, not stagnation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked over your training and paces (yes, I'm a stalker) and I am so impressed with how the program worked for you.... so so so impressed. I'm giving the program another shot and actually raeding the book the full way through and planning out my workouts instead of calling it quits after a few weeks. My paces aren't really getting any better and my legs feel pretty beat up. I want progress, not stagnation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun report! Thanks for name dropping so I can follow some new blogs. So much good in the midst of your injury. Still hurting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad/frustrating/etc to have to go right by the scene of the crime so soon afterward! Totally understandable that you got emotional there.

    You know, I keep replaying in my mind the part where you called out to me. You are one tough woman to have walked it in while in such pain. I was confused but you even put on a smile for me, so thank you. Once I figured it out, I thought about going back to you, but had a feeling you would kill me if I did!

    I have faith that you will be kicking ass again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn good name dropping, I am teary eyed reading this :( Race day can be a b*tch!!! UGH!! Blessings for you and a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still so sad for you. I’m guessing you will get to the diagnosis and the “ugly” in another post. ii know you posted on my blog you may never be a “marathoner” but in my book you are a total rockstar. This RLRF training program is no joke and takes insane dedication. and you killed it. I hate to even ask or bring it up but hoping that you still have the chance in October in Portland….just wish I could give you a big hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you for name dropping. I would be too. Heal fast and yes listen to the PT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had an injury my very first marathon, i know how heart breaking it is.
    But sounds like you are already bouncing back and will totally rock your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was out of DM and blogland this weekend, so I'm just learning of your injury. I'm so sorry, Alma. I can't imagine the suckness of this, but I believe you will succeed at your BQ! Here's to a speedy recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear your 2012 plan!

    ReplyDelete