Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The chafe

Packing for another trip to sunny Arizona, I thought it would be a good idea to resurrect some short-short running shorts from my old days so I could move my tan lines up a bit. Turns out, that was a BAD IDEA.

Nike of course. They really do make the best clothes.
First, my phone alarm failed and I missed my opportunity to do Track Tuesday workout before work this morning.

Second, as it was 105 degrees this afternoon, I had to opt for a treadmill interval session in the hotel fitness room in order to get my workout in. Damn! Missed opportunity to get some sun & VitD production (it's 60 and raining in Seattle now).

Third, not only did I NOT get a better tan line wearing short-short running shorts outside this morning, I got some serious chafe after one hour of running in them instead (warm-up, 5x1000m @ 6:49 pace with 400m RI, cool-down). Back in the day, my thighs did not touch (when I was 5?). I used to run fast in these shorts! Back in the day. Now, my thighs burn.

Which brings me to some things to work toward before the Portland Marathon:
  •  Increase lean body mass, bring that fat % down (which means I should go get it measured now so I can check again in Sept before PDX). 
  • Say good-bye to shorts. Anything but compression shorts either bunch up in the crotch or allow chafing. THANK GOODNESS for running skirts. 
What do the guys do to combat this?

Depressing. I had to make myself feel better by listening to the P-Funk on the walk back to my room then drown myself in a Cadillac margarita (to go with my arugula, beet, chevre salad).


Oh, took this at lunch today for your viewing pleasure...

Uptown Cafe, Superior, AZ
Good things today:
  • Treadmill interval workout felt great. 
  • I managed to find the Tempe RoadRunner Sports to pick up a singlet for next week's marathon, some new Reef chanclas, and a new Nathan 2-bottle water belt since the elastic on my current one is all stretched out & loose.
  • My margarita was much tastier than the Four Peaks Kiltlifter Amber I had last night. It was "eh." And my salad kicked ass.

12 comments:

  1. 1. Bodyglide
    2. Compression shorts
    3. Starve myself into looking like my 12 yr old

    That salad sounds rad. I loooove beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 - Compression shorts
    2 - Sportshield!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the body glide! It works wonders!
    That is really really hot! Good job getting your workout in regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thirds for BodyGlide. Thighs, toes, bra line - it works everywhere! No matter what I weigh, my thighs always touch. I've never had chafing with BodyGlide.

    I don't wear shorts. Like you said - they start at the thigh and end up in the crotch. Annoying. I just wear skirts or capris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not beat yourself up. You look amazing! No one would believe you have a little one at home.

    No thank you on the beets, but the margarita sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I CANNOT run more than two miles without bodyglide or vaseline on my thighs. Body glide is numbered among the VERY few things I must have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, bodyglide or sportshield! My thighs are always going to touch. I can't seem to get comfortable in running shorts. they poof up in the crotch area and I don't get it. Skirts for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. running skirts and body glide for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Nike too. Friday I am going by an outlet on my way to visit a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Body glide...oh too late, that answer's already been given I see :)
    Running skirts do rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. same thing happened to me monday. wore shorts on the treadmill. not cool. forgot the body glide. ouch in the shower. i’m a lover of skirts!! and sadly, i am not sure if my thighs will ever not touch. doesn’t look likely. :) good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahh the hotel treadmill, i've been there this week. Your rocked that speedwork!

    The chaf...seriously, the days I forget my body glide i just want to kick myself. I mean really at this point i just know better!

    ReplyDelete