Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Purple it is!

Last post, I asked what everyone thought about the magical powers of the Sparkle Skirt and if I should get the turquoise, green, or purple. I was equally torn between the three colors.

The verdict was...7 votes for purple, 2 for turquoise, and 1 for green. And one vote for all three, which was my favorite vote but not something I can justify right now :)  Green would have been great for St. Patty's Day runs as well as Christmas runs but I do love purple!

Should arrive in the mail by week's end.
This decision plagued me for a good portion of my long run on Sunday so I'm glad to have some resolution. (I was out for 3+ hours by myself, what can I say?) 

Learning from you colorful ladies out there, I've decided to back off on the NINJA garb and put some color into my runs. A few weeks ago, I picked out some colorful tops from Road Runner Sports along with a new skirt and capris. 

You know what you didn't tell me I didn't know about wearing color? It shows the sweat more! I was thinking of Rose and how she documents her sweat marks. How come hers are cute and mine were...weird? Somehow, I ended today's speed workout with sweat marks in the exact shape/silhouette of breasts (Nike orange tank). I haven't noticed other women leaving with boob imprints on their workout tanks but I guess I never thought to look. Anyway, I was quite embarrassed. 

The power of color didn't help me today. After completely tapping out my legs during Sunday's 22-miler and only one day off, today's speed work was a challenge. In fact, I really didn't hit my mark at all. I did 3 x 1 mile and only the first repeat was at target pace. The other too were closer to a short tempo pace. Double drat. 

I HAD NO JUICE.

Leaves me to wonder...

How much time do y'all take off after running a marathon? I need to start training for Portland shortly after the Seattle RNR. I've heard you should take off one day per mile raced but that's just TOO LONG. I need to start training again pretty soon, is one week adequate? Two weeks? Is it ok to do a lot of cross training during that time? 

16 comments:

  1. I took the first week off of running, but did biking and walking. After that I started with easy runs and slowly increased my mileage over 26 days (1 mile per day rule). After 26 days I'm back ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as time off is concerned, everyone is different. I have run back-to-back marathons and marathons in consecutive months many times. Four weeks between races is ideal and that includes a week off. But that is what works for me. With over three months between marathons, taking two weeks off should not be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to use Hal Higdon's four week build up which will get me back to a 10 mile long run in 4 weeks. But as Jamoosh said, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I ordered my sparkle skirt, I literally debated the color for MONTHS!! I finally went with the pink... but oh, the purple is so cool too!
    I'm all about the COLOR in my workout gear - have no fear letting 'em see the sweat - that way they know you're working h.a.r.d.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the crazy sweating all over the place. My back, around my sports bra - everywhere!

    I think I bought a 4-week recovery plan from Active.com after my marathon. There was a week of no running or easy walking but runs resumed after that. I didn't have another race on my calendar at the time so that was good enough for me.

    Marathon Maniacs run a crazy amount of marathons in a short time frame. I think you can handle it but you have to be vigilant to avoid injury and try to resist the temptation to make each marathon an "A" race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 10K Mud Run two weeks after Rock N Roll and See Jane Half the weekend after that.

    I'm screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't take any time off after running a marathon. Maybe a day and then I'm back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a sweat monster and totally have weird sweat marks. Sweat is sexy...right?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After Big Sur I took off 1 day, had a light run/walk Tuesday and ran on Wednesday--but both were only 3-4 miles. I have slacked the past few weeks because of work and travel but the following week I still ran 4, 6, 10 and felt fine. Just listen to your body-you may not be able to run as fast but you will still be able to run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have never run a full. But I take a week off after a half.

    Love the purple skirt. Glad you decided to add some color to your run!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it took me awhile to branch out with color, but i love it now!! red is also supposed to make you work harder!!

    I usually take a couple weeks off running post marathon, but walk a lot during that time to keep from getting stiff

    ReplyDelete
  12. After running consistently for 5 years or so, I *know* the common wisdom about days off, etc, but I don't necessary listen to it. It TOTALLY depends on your body. I think this is your first marathon, right? You probably will be sore, so will probably need a week off and probably an add'l week w/o speedwork. I'll bet you can do a long run (>15) by week 3 post marathon. But listen to your body! Maybe you can do more (or less). Now that I've done 8 marathons, I never get sore after races and I'm usually back to running the next day. My body is totally used to the distance. But I did take 1 week off before doing speedwork after my last marathon. I tried doing it earlier but my body said no. Best of luck w/ the rest of your training!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since my first full is ahead of me, I have no advice. But I'm digging the colorful tops and sparkle skirt! I also started planning my RnR (half) outfit, and I'm leaning toward camo and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new colorful garb, sorry bout the sweat marks though! Got my husband the Run Less Run Faster book for father's day so we'll see how he likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm also trying to incorporate more colors, but black is just so flattering. I've never had boob imprints, but I definitely leave half moons on all of my tops from my cleavage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Purple is good, don't forget to show us when you get them. Are you running in Portland... I miss this wonderful American State... but it is cold brbrbrbrb.....
    Great runs!

    ReplyDelete