Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dumbfounded race re-cap

I am dumbfounded about today's results. FIRST, I must say that I LOVE the Furman FIRST program and am definitely going to use it FOREVER, or, as long as I want to train for a specific time for a race, anyway. I've been getting the feeling for a while now that this training program was working some magic, but I HAD NO IDEA how much magic!

Or maybe it was just the sparkle skirt that made me feel like super woman today? (See Team Sparkle Blog entry HERE.)
Pre race: Hanging out, staying warm

Post race: Very happy & hungry

I'm just going to get to it - I ROCKED my "A" goal (1:45) and ran my fastest half marathon ever: 1:44:14. This is a 3 minute improvement over my all-time PR. INSANE. I am in shock. Where did this come from? What more can I do?

I started out with the goal of running about 8:20 pace to start then would cut down to 8:15's to get me a 1:47 finish. That lasted for the first mile. Then, I just felt so good I picked up the pace and went with it. I was afraid I was pulling my classic maneuver of going out fast only to bomb at mile 9 but my heart rate was fine, I could hold a conversation, and I was just having so much fun that I didn't want to slow down. So, I decided to ignore my watch the rest of the race and just listen to my body.

At mile 11 I checked my watch and knew I had my A goal bested. I almost peed my pants. Then, I straightened up and concentrated on avoiding something ridiculous like falling into a pothole and pulling a DNF.

I have never run so strong in 20+ years of running and have never felt so good all the way to the finish. 

This was easily the most enjoyable race I've ever run. The event was very well-organized considering there were 35,000+ half marathon runners, there were bands at every mile, water stops at nearly every mile, the course was FLAT, and I got to run a lap around the Indy 500 racetrack! I definitely recommend this to folks living in the area, though you need to sign up EARLY as it sells out early (January!).


Big bling!
I fly home to Seattle tomorrow with a big smile, sore legs, and full belly. Today, I replenished my glycogen stores with Indianapolis' finest: Maxine's Fried Chicken and Waffles (sweet potato waffle, that is), with sides of mac & cheese and collard greens. Oh yes we did!

YUM yum

And no race finish is complete without a local microbrew (Flat 12 Bierwerks and Sun King Brewing Co.).

Recommend: Pale Ale, Amber

Recommend: Pale Ale

21 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a GREAT PR!! Glad you also enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO amazing. It's awesome that you felt good, too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic result! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Wow, did you rock it or what?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I am so excited for you! Congratulations on your amazing day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!!! You rocked that race! I on the other hand did not. :-) But it was such a great race to be a part of and they really do an awesome job putting it on. I was searching for your sparkle skirt. I did see one other one there, it was turquoise!

    GREAT RACE ALMA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Triple Woot!!! What an amazing day! I am sitting here with a little extra beat of my heart in excitement reading this race report! Your most enjoyable race ever? Your strongest run in 20 years! Holy Moly...THAT'S some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! How fast you are! I agree... once training on FURMAN, there just is no other plan for me. It works magic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. RLRF, flat course, good weather and the sparkle skirt? How could you not crush it? Way to go, I knew you would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your PR!! That is amazing :) I will start with the RLRF program end of this month for the first time. I hope it works the same way for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so excited for you!! You killed it!! This book gives me hope- i just started it on my way home from Cali. I may email you soon to ask you a few q’s! You are going to do great at RNR Seattle!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so awesome! I was thinking about you and your skirt yesterday, hoping you had done great! Definitely going to have to give that program a try. Already told Coach we need to pick up that book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Another victory for the FIRST program (and you of course!). After all of those hard training runs the race can only be so bad!

    Or maybe it was the sparkle skirt? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh - and that's a REAL Southern meal you have on your plate there! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! That is fantastic! Having everything go smoothly, running strong and having a blast! The Best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow... big PR! Congratulations! What a perfect race!

    That beer looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I love the "what more can I do" sentence. If only we all asked ourselves that very question more often!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!!! Nice job alma!!!! I'll tell u how the First approach impacted my marathon this weekend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Alma! Thanks for visiting my blog, too! I'm glad Elizabeth posted about us on DM. I just started the Furman FIRST program (Run Less Run Faster) this week! I'm glad to hear you've been so successful with it. :)
    I had a few friends that ran the mini...great job on your PR!

    ReplyDelete