I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING NICE I SAID ABOUT INTERVALS.
Sr. Treadmill, NO te quiero a ti.
On deck today: 6 x 800m in 3:33 with a 90 second rest interval. It was cold and snowy(!) here in Seattle today so I opted to run the intervals on the Y treadmill after work. I tend to do better with my tough workouts in the morning on a completely empty stomach but I was up early working, instead.
Before heading to the gym, I tried some FRS energy for the first time. The taste was ok, no worse than other strange energy sources we runners intentionally ingest. I don't know if they contributed to my stomach issues later during my workout (probably not) but I would be willing to try again to test them under better conditions.
So what happened to the treadmill intervals? I felt like hell. I was overheated and my stomach was cranky but whatever. Excuses. I felt rough but apparently the treadmill felt worse.
- 1.5 mile warm-up @ about 10:00 pace (including 3 min barefoot running)
- 800 m intervals:
- 3:31 (1:39 RI) Tough but do-able. Jogged the RI.
- 3:37 (1:32 RI) Hmm. Not getting into a groove like normal. Jogged the RI.
- 3:43 (1:57 RI) This one was tough, I was clearly struggling. Talking to myself about how I was half-way through, I could finish it. Walked the RI.
- 3:40 (1:44 RI) Suck. This. Hopped off the treadmill and paced the room during the RI, talking myself down. It's only two laps around the track. I CAN do two more, dammit.
- 3:35 (2:34 RI) OMG that sucked but at least my time was better. My HRM is beeping, hit a max HR of 195 (91% of max). Holy sheet! I'm talking to myself out loud at this point, just one more interval. What are you looking at?
- 3:12! Fast? No. The treadmill DIED on me. Black screen. No motion. Nada. I had 0.1 mi to go, to completely finish the workout and I was shut down. Pity on the part of the machine?
- I jumped over the treadmill next to me and finished with a mile cool-down at about 10:15 pace.
- Stumbled down the stairs to the locker room for a cold shower.
How do you all manage these treadmill speed workouts? I think they're MORE difficult than running outside. I had thought that running the intervals on the treadmill would make it easier because I wouldn't have to listen to my body as much to FEEL the pace, I would just have to push a button to get my pace on track.
I was so very wrong. It was still difficult because this pace was KILLER. Plus, it takes a lot more math and coordination to hit my watch split button, speed and stop button, and watch the miles and time on the machine to figure out when to start/stop the interval and RI...ack! It was actually kind of stressful coordinating all that stuff.
I'm hoping I can complete next week's track workout feeling empowered and accomplished at the end, instead of sick like tonight. I will definitely prefer to run the next interval workout on the track.
I want my love for intervals returns or else this Furman FIRST program is going to be torture.