Monday, January 24, 2011

Returning to life & Mardi Gras RNR half

I'm finally regaining signs of life. An unobstructed breath. A pulse. Movement beyond the minimum to maintain basic functions. It's been a LONG time since I had a cold actually take me out of commission. Bah! Marluce - Eu procurei a fruta do acerola mas não pude encontrar alguns. 


THANK YOU everyone for the get well wishes. It was nice to have the virtual cheer. Crazy how many of YOU have been sick, too. There are some mean & nasty bugs going around right now. I hope everyone else is coming back to life as well. 


I'm thinking tomorrow I should be good for a run. Finally. After 9 sniffly, weak, tired days off. Do I pick up with last week's training goals to make up for lost time or do I just keep on going with this week's plan? Since next week was supposed to be a rest week anyway, I'm thinking that this week I should do last week's plan and then next week do this week's plan, skipping the rest week. Confused? Me too.


So my Master Plan 2011 (for kicking ass) officially starts on February 7th. Only two weeks to go and already I'm modifying the plan to accommodate an unplanned race. Yup. I'm going to NEW ORLEANS!!! My husband will be there for a conference so Baby F is going to stay with Gramma/Gramps and I'll fly down for a long weekend. First real weekend away from baby to celebrate our anniversary, my birthday, Valentine's Day, Susan B. Anthony's birthday, early President's Day, late Groundhog Day, and anything else we can think of. Nice timing, right? Thankfully the conference organizers picked just the right weekend for us to boondoggle a trip. 


My goals for the trip are to:

  1. Eat
  2. Drink
  3. Be merry
  4. Run/walk the Mardi Gras/New Orleans Rock & Roll Half Marathon (maybe?)
I haven't registered for the race yet but am strongly considering it. That same weekend I have an 8-mile run scheduled, so I figure I can run the first 8 miles at workout pace then walk/jog the rest, or, just jog the whole thing. I'm leaning toward option A to stay true to my Master Plan for 2011 (for kicking ass). I'm trying to "run smart," remember? Which means, not taking on too much too soon.

If I run this race, I will be able to check Louisiana off my "to race in" list and I've got a long way to go on making my goal of running a race in every state/province. 
 

11 comments:

  1. You should totally do it! Sounds like the perfect getaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That New Orleans trip sounds fantastic. I'll be curious to see if you manage to stick to the plan... always tough to slow down and jog when you're surrounded by other runners & race day hype!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! You must do the half. Couldn't you do the whole 13 at workout pace and flip some long runs around? I'm jumping into RLRF at week 14, so I don't have the 1st four weeks on my training chart.
    I can't believe you are in New Orleans on the right weekend for the half. You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be sooooo fun! I say do it even if you do have to walk parts... I'm sure it'll be a race to remember no matter what! :)

    **Glad you liked the video - it was pretty fun to make... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling better. That sounds like what I had in November...when we went to Nola. Super excited you get to go. It's a cool place to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're feeling better! You'll have so much fun doing the race. It makes those training runs much more fun. Plus you get crowds and drink stations! Couldn't ask for much more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling better! How exciting to be going to NO! Enjoy that RNR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The half sounds like fun. Go ahead and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do it! I bet the excitement of being in the race is enough to carry you through to the end! I have heard that if you've been out for a week, you can jump right into your planned schedule. If you've been out two weeks, reduce the volume/intensity of the week you come back by 50% and then work up from there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lingering problems do you have with your elbow? I want to know what to keep an eye out for.

    I'm trying to remember the last time I earned a scar as an adult. I feel like most of my scars came from being kid-stupid.

    ReplyDelete