Saturday, January 1, 2011

Miami Resolution Fun Run 2011 - virtual race

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

WELCOME TO THE YEAR OF "KICK ASS!" 

(as proclaimed by the Average Woman Runner to make up for the last couple years of feeling pretty ass-kicked)

**********************************************************************************

It has been really cold in Seattle, so this morning I waited for high sun to run the HBBC-related, Miami Resolution Fun Run 2011. You can't quite read my bib, but my resolution is to RUN SMART, RUN INJURY FREE. 


It was in the upper 30's when I started out (BRR!) so I stuck to the sunny side of the streets. Like all races, I went out too fast but after about one mile, I settled into a nice pace. I didn't take my camera with me but I can report that I passed the following on my course that included an urban section of the Mountains to Sound trail:

Dogs: 8 (including 3 large "pit bulls" which I crossed to the other side of the street for)
Cyclists: 8
Pedestrians: 33*
Cat: 1 (lounging on the trail)

*Regarding the pedestrians, everyone looked cold but sober (!) and two older men who were totally decked out in Mariner's garb (wrong season?) yelled at me as I ran by: "BRRR! Be careful honey! Watch out!" I'm not sure what to watch out for - ice? Anyway, it was sweet.

Stats for this virtual resolution run:
Distance: 5.23 miles
Total time: 44:38
Avg Pace: 8:32
Min elevation: 39 ft
Max elevation: 328 ft  (I picked a hilly course for this race!)

During my run, I thought about my running goals for 2011, which include:

  • running smart - not taking on too much too soon
  • maintaining core strength
  • stretching
  • consistently doing my physical therapy exercises
  • sticking to the training plan
  • hopefully staying injury free. 
This will also include a number of regular races I try to do each year (race list coming soon) as well as some new ones (Indy Mini Marathon, Portland Marathon).

I'm looking forward to the start of a new year and aside from running, I'm hoping this year will be more steady/sane than 2009 & 2010 (no new babies, jobs, or other major changes, please).

7 comments:

  1. Great job on the run. I did a New Years 5K last night/this morning. It was 19 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice first run of the year in this cold weather! I really like your goals, especially the stretching one. I should add that one to the list. :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running in the cold on New Years day... way to go. :) Your goals look similar to my ongoing fitness ones. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha - that last sentence cracked me up!!
    Awesome run, great pace and wonderful resolutions! Cheers to an injury-free 2011!!
    BTW, your ability to count things while running impresses me. I've tried to do that before (especially during long runs) but my mind wanders too much to keep track of even one thing, let alone four.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your run! I love all your statistics. That would really keep the mind busy trying to remember all that by the time I got home! Good luck with your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on participating in the HBBC fun run! I think that was worth some extra points, wasn't it?? I should have done it.

    WE have SO many of the same 2011 goals:
    * running smart - not taking on too much too soon
    * maintaining core strength
    * stretching
    * consistently doing my physical therapy exercises
    * sticking to the training plan
    * hopefully staying injury free.
    check.check. and check!! Good luck with your running in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like great resolutions to me! I ended up having a baby in the last month of 2010, now I'm just hoping to be able to get back into running for 2011. It's all about toning exercises and giving my treadmill some attention right now, though...it finally warmed up into the 20s after a week of -20s here in Wyoming :). I did find some great polyester blend "long underwear" from Patagonia that are great for exercise in cold weather -- for anyone that is so inclined -- that I used to use all the time handling sled dogs. Might be a little bit of overkill for Seattle, though :P.

    ReplyDelete