Thursday, December 30, 2010

Obsolete PR's and other lessons

A while back, Average A (Diary of an Average Runner) recommended a few books to me and I've been picking through the list. Tonight, I just finished The Runner's Rule Book by Mark Remy while I sip my Manny's Pale Ale and try to escape from the day (Dad just got out of heart surgery. All OK, but long day.).

Overall a fun, brainless read with humor and some good running etiquette though definitely more focused on males than females. Here are the five rules that stood out:

RULE 1.51: A PR is Forever But...
Ok, so this one chafed me but I totally get it. According to Remy, a PR lasts only 2 years. I haven't really run in 2 years (2009 was baby year, 2010 is building my base back)!! Which means all my PR's from my last good running year (2007) are obsolete?! Nooooooo! If anyone has checked my PR page, most of my PR's are ANCIENT. At least I am totally open and honest about how ancient they are! 

This means that 2011 is definitely going to be the year to roll up the sleeves and get to work. BUT, if you're training for distance runs, that really takes up the entire year. You don't get time to train for short distances. Since 2011 is going to be my half/full marathon year, 2012 would have to be the year for 5k/10k distance, but I was thinking that Baby F needs a little brother around that time, so then if 2012 is another baby year then 2013 would have to be the short distance year...and by then my 2011 distance PRs will be obsolete and...I'm screwed basically. I have to say, this 2-year shelf life on PR's is fine for men but totally biased against women of childbearing age. Or maybe I shouldn't have waited so long to have kids?

RULE 1.26: Training Plans Must Go on the Fridge
I like this one, Remy is redeemed. I just keep my plan on the computer but I like Remy's point about how it should stare you daily in the face, and stare at anyone else who comes into the kitchen. Also, it would be definitely satisfying to "x" off those workouts as completed. My 2011 Master Plan is going on the fridge for sure.

RULE 1.64: Concrete Isn't Really Harder Than Asphalt
Remy and all the civil engineers say "BULL HOOEY!"

RULE 2.9: Learn to Love "Race Morning Buzz"
I love race morning buzz but it has been so long since I trained long and hard for a specific race that I've almost forgotten the feeling. The butterflies. The good anxiety. I can't wait to have that feeling again in 2011.

RULE 2.39: You Must Run at Least One Race in Your Lifetime That Finishes on a Track
I do speed work on a track but I haven't raced on a track since high school. I would definitely like to finish a race on a track, brilliant idea. The local Eugene Marathon finishes on Hayward Field (PRE!) and of all tracks, THAT would be the one to finish on. Unfortunately, that race is the same weekend as my Indy Mini Marathon that finishes on a NASCAR racing track so it's out. Will have to keep looking. Any other suggestions?

8 comments:

  1. I've actually run a few races that finish on a track (Athens Marathon, Boston Half, Bolder Boulder 10K three times... I'm sure there are more).

    Those sound like good goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, no! My initial response when reading this post is that you didn't find this book to be as stupidly hilarious as I did!! I hope I didn't disappoint you too much!! :(

    I just got a new book today: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (a memoir by Haruki Murkami)... if it's any good maybe I can redeem myself with the book recommendations. :)

    Your PRs are fine...Take Remy with a gain of salt -- you have reasons for not being able to race! But, I just know 2011 is going to rule and you're going to live all your wildest dreams. :) Screw what he says anyway. :P

    xoxo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Indy track counts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Kerrie, however, Eugene in 2012? Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree with the PR theory. A PR is a PR no matter when it was completed. You just need to say when the PR was even if it was years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so taking a positive spin on the PR two year rule... I'd never have to try to best my twenty something self to set a new PR since all those times way back then (far more than two years ago) wouldn't count.

    Glad your dad is out of surgery okay... that must have been a stressful day. Enjoy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh baby #2 plans.. AWESOME!!

    Hmmmmm that means I better zoom out a Half PR asap..

    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

    Also visit my web site ... toyalert.com

    ReplyDelete