Friday, December 3, 2010

Master Plan 2011 (Draft 2) + cross training info

OK - Here is Draft 2 already! Thanks for the input.

I've revised the plan a bit so that my hard runs are Tues/Thurs instead of Mon/Wed. After checking the gym schedule, this will work out better anyway for cross-training. My long run then will be on Saturdays so that gives me two full days of recovery after the long run before I bounce back into the speedwork (good point P!).

It doesn't show below, but I will take P's advice and convert one or more of the 20-milers to a 20+ length to break that big 20-mile barrier. In fact, I don't know that I need to do FIVE 20-milers. I feel like that might kill me. When I get to that point, might just do two 20-ish milers and trade some 16-18 milers for the other three 20's. We'll see how I feel at that point...

There was a question about the cross-training component of this "3+2" FIRST training program. Just because you're only running 3 days/week doesn't mean you're training LESS. You're still training in other ways. The minimum two days of cross-training are either bike, swim, or rowing. They don't want you to do elliptical, stair stepper, or anything else that puts weight stress on your legs so that you can fully recover from their hard workouts. (Plus, isn't this great winter training for an early summer tri?!)

I'm gradually building back into running and for cross-training I'm doing fitness videos (Jillian Michaels "No More Trouble Zones" kicks butt, seriously). In January, I'm going to start incorporating the more intense cross-training. My goal is to swim on Mondays and spin on Wednesdays. Ideally, I'll do a gentle, restorative yoga practice on at least one of the two rest days.

The FIRST training book provides specific workouts to do in the pool and on the bike/row machine.  I think I'll use the swim workouts in the book but for spin, I plan on just doing a class. I think that will motivate me better. Oh, and I plan on bike commuting to work as long as there isn't snow on the ground.

With that, a happy Friday to everyone and good luck to Mel, Amanda, and Kadie who are running the Las Vegas Rock & Roll marathon this weekend!!!
Note that the weekly milage peaks at 34. Nice & low!

4 comments:

  1. You are way too organized. LOL! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! That's planning ahead! I don't follow a plan at all :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great good luck with the training

    ReplyDelete
  4. [url=http://seoservicemarket.com]seo service[/url]

    ReplyDelete