Thursday, December 23, 2010

Comments from the Furman FIRST training plan post

This was my last post:

The Average Woman's Running Blog: Furman FIRST training plan: "As part of my Master Plan 2011 planning, I read, Run Less, Run Faster: Become a faster, stronger runner with the revolutionary FIRST traini..."

And I have to share some of the comments. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm more excited than ever to start the half & full marathon plans...In fact, I've revised Master Plan 2011 and will be starting the half program in February instead of March. This will allow me a full 5 weeks off in between the half & full programs, which I think I will appreciate since this is such an intense program. I am guessing I will miss running just for fun/leisure.

I'm trying not to get too excited but if I can get into the shape I was in pre-pregnancy, the Furman Plan predicts that I can run a 3:40 marathon, which qualifies me for Boston with 5 minutes to spare. I'm trying not to think about it since I'm not in that shape right now AND I've never ran a marathon (just LOTS of halfs) but...it's hard not to get my hopes up.

If the endorsements in the book aren't enough, check these out...




Heather said...


My husband used this book as the basis for his training for the last marathon he ran. He took this book everywhere with him! He improved his time by 15 minutes and qualified for Boston. Really good quote at the end.
Good luck with your training!



Tricia said...



We followed that training plan for our marathon last month. LOVED it! (despite the fact my race didnt go as planned...I would follow that plan again)



Teamarcia said...



Good luck and enjoy it! I am a running testimonial for that book.



Anonymous said...



Hi, I was the anon commenter back on your post when you were thinking of picking up the FIRST plan. Well, I ran a half-marathon two weeks ago having sort of jumped into FIRST training 8 weeks before the race. I took 9 minutes off my time from my May PR- and I felt really good during and after the race, too.

I'm about to start training for a marathon, and I plan to use a combination of the FIRST plan and a plan from Runner's world Smart Coach. But I'm really impressed with the program, and the cross-training has really helped my overall fitness.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment