Sunday, November 28, 2010

Seattle Marathon/Half Marathon spectator report

Early this morning, Seattle runners rose to temps in the upper 30's and a thick layer of fog over the city. It was chilly but it was DRY!

I had quite a list of people to cheer for but unfortunately only found three people + 1 unexpected person, Kris M. Shortly after mile 5, "B" and I went to Leschi (thank you egg nog latte for keeping me warm!) to look for our runners. On the way to our cheering point, I saw a former cross country teammate (Kris M.) who ultimately finished in 1:38, placing 51st overall. Nice!

Cheering in front of Starbucks, we saw the "C" and beau. So many runners at this point, didn't find anyone else before heading off to the next cheering station: top of Interlaken hill. The Seattle course is grueling, the hills leading from Lake Washington to the top of Capital Hill are about 3 miles long and steep AND come at the END of the course when you are close to spent.

At Interlaken, we were able to cheer for C and beau again but I was disappointed to miss my Tia Cindy and Amy (FIRST half marathon!). Also missed blogger Michelle (The Running Diva).

C & beau in yellow & black

Shortly after this point, the half marathoners cruised to a finish. B & I bypassed the finish to head back out onto the course to find our spunky first-time marathoner, JW. We hooked up with her after mile 13 in Seward Park. I ran for a short time with JW and was wishing I could just continue running. She was so positive and strong, I just knew she was going to finish well.

Later on, we found JW again on the Madison Ave hill, around mile 21. MANY runners at this point were walking. Not JW! She was holding her steady pace and as she passed us, she yelled something that will echo in my head every time I struggle up a hill...

"I'm making this hill my bitch!"

Difficult to spot friends dressed in black&blue - it was a sea of black/blue!

Now THIS is a spectator-friendly outfit!
Congratulations to all the Seattle marathon finishers today!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! "I'm making this hill my bitch!" I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the Seattle Marathon story on the news tonight. I'm glad the weather cooperated for everyone. I was jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great day! The weather was amazing considering what we had last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice that you went out and cheered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so GREAT to have your positive energy along with B and T. You three were just what I needed to see at every spot, especially after that hill. heehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all
    that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say wonderful blog!


    Here is my web page juice recipes for juicers

    ReplyDelete