Wednesday, October 6, 2010

No more strain drain

No more excuses ladies! I know there is at least one other person out there with a strained ankle and there are others nursing wounds. I've been wallowing in self-pity for the last week and today it stops.
Just because we need to take a BRIEF break from running doesn't mean we can't maintain our fitness so we can get back to running without starting from scratch. The Seattle Half Marathon is coming up for some of you, no?

Yesterday I made it to the doc to confirm that I do NOT have a stress fracture. While I was there, I got my first ever flu shot in one arm and my tetanus update in the other arm. SORE! My ARNP also gave me a scrip for physical therapy (YES!).

This morning, I went to see Brian @ Madison Park TAI. He worked on loosening my ankle, talked me through what was going on, and determined that this is a minor joint issue that probably resulted from me hammering those last two downhill miles at the You Go Girl 10k. Damn. He thinks that with a bit more rest I should be good to go...well, assuming I do some exercises too.

Of course, you can't go to physical therapy without getting homework. I am to work on my posture, as in how I rest on my feet. I tend to let them cave inward and I need to learn to carry my weight so that it's more aligned over the centerline of my feet. Even weight distribution. It makes sense, right? So, I will work on being more conscious with that and even do some squats trying to maintain my alignment all the way from my hips through my knees and down through my ankles, heels, and toes.

After that, he did some "soft tissue work"which amounted to a very painful massage using some plastic torture tools. We finished up with an ultrasound on my ankle and further instructions to ice my ankle regularly and also keep it moving, keep it loose.

After the last two days of being at work and sitting at a computer all day, my ankle is actually feeling much better. It's my days off that kill me. House cleaning, chasing after a toddler, working on our basement - all that stuff just aggravates it so I need to be more mindful of taking it easy. We all know, that's easier said than done.

With the ankle improving a bit and Brian giving me the go-ahead, I do plan on biking in to work tomorrow. Brian said I should be ok to keep up with all my normal activities except running, walking (especially flat surfaces), and any other impact activities. I really have no excuse not to keep up with my exercise and do my best to substitute cycling and swimming for my running for a little while. My bum ankle is NOT preventing me from doing core work, right? No more excuses or pity party.

And in other news, I finished the little hat I was making for Baby F only it's too short. I will give it to a cousin who is 6 months younger than Baby F and make one a little bigger for my guy so it lasts through the fall and winter. Here you can see how it turned out. I really like the owls but thinking I should find a pattern with ear flaps. Anyone out there have a good toddler hat knitting pattern?

Owl Tuque

8 comments:

  1. spooky having some guy "work on you"

    I sounds like a repo man in an alleyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are crazy talented with the knitting needles!!!
    Sounds like good news on your ankle and your positive outlook. I am right there with you, girlfriend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good news re your ankle. I'm thrilled for you. Be sure to follow the PT's instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is adorable!

    So glad it's just a strain and that you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so know what you mean - my 'resting' my foot involves looking after my 2-year-old, walking to school and back, hoovering, doing the washing etc - there is no housework that requires you to sit down and put your feet up!

    Love that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hat is so cute!! I've always thought about taking up knitting but it hasn't happened yet.

    Glad to hear the ankle is just strained, not fractured. How long is the stay off order in effect for running & walking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear that the ankle is not too serious. hope the recovery is going well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grrrr...there are quite a few of us with injuries!! Glad to hear that you don't have a stress fracture. Take good care of that ankle and get that cross training in!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete