Tuesday, August 10, 2010

She's all about tough love - Jillian Michaels DVD review

But that's why we love her, Jillian Michaels.

As I mentioned previously, I recently purchased some Jillian Michaels products including three exercise DVDs: Yoga Meltdown, 30 Day Shred, and No More Trouble Zones. In the past week or so, I've done the Yoga Meltdown and 30 Day Shred a few times and will review those later. Tonight I did the No More Trouble Zones for the first time and I MUST report.

No More Trouble Zones is 40-minutes of circuit training that works upper and lower body simultaneously and totally rips your core apart. Sound fun? Maybe, maybe not, but definitely effective.

HOLY COW LADIES! This is THE workout. If I could do this every day for a few weeks, I'm pretty sure I would be quite toned up, indeed.

You're supposed to use [3-pound] hand weights but I haven't had time to get any yet so I used these 15-ouncers:


I was feeling kind of silly (surprised?) about my black beans until she had us doing shoulder presses for 5 minutes straight and then I was GLAD I didn't have 3-pounders. I'll stick with my 1-pounders for a week maybe, but I should try to get to Target soon for the real thing. 

The workout is broken up into 5-minute circuits, each circuit working different muscle groups from the upper and lower body like deltoids + quads, biceps + quads, core, etc. At the end, you've had a complete aerobic & full body strength workout. Light weights, high reps through the entire workout and you're constantly moving. 

What I like:
  • Flexible duration. From the menu you can select the complete 40-minute workout OR you can select individual circuits depending on how much time you have or which muscle groups you want to work. 
  • Great combination of strength and aerobic activity. Running makes my legs strong but the only workout my upper body is getting lately is lifting Baby F. (Which reminds me, I need to start getting into the pool again.) A stronger upper body will help me run faster! 
  • Lots of core work. Core work is incorporated throughout, which is great for improving my running form, overall posture, etc. 
  • Good coaching. Jillian gives the right cues at the right time but doesn't talk TOO much. I found her pep-talks to be very helpful and motivating. Really. I usually don't like that kind of stuff but I guess her style fits with me. Tough love, baby!  
  • Good price. I got all three DVDs for under $30 on Amazon. Not bad for 160 minutes of calorie-burning exercise you can do in the convenience of your home while the babes are sleeping. 

What I don't like (this comment pertains to all three Jillian Michaels DVDs): 
  • Too much smiling. She makes her assistants smile through the whole workout. A minor negative, really, but this especially bothered me in the Yoga Meltdown because if her staff are smiling then they can't possibly be breathing correctly. Small complaint but it just doesn't look right to see the strain on their faces as they're doing her kick-butt workout with a forced smile. 
  • New yoga mat sucks. I know, this doesn't have anything to do with the DVDs but it won't stay put and I've been experiencing this problem while doing all three DVDs. I opted for a "green" mat that is PVC free and I'm not too impressed. Hmmm, maybe I should talk about PVC in my next Tox Tip?


********************************************************************************
Assuming I can lift my body out of bed tomorrow morning and Baby F is cooperative, I will be doing my long run of 7 miles. The last time I ran that far was August 12, 2008! 

No comments:

Post a Comment