Tuesday, August 31, 2010

20 minute dash in the rain

The sound of rain tapping on the window (and a baby crying) woke me up this morning. JOY! It's been so dry, I figured my entire yard was rejoicing. I love running in the rain (except when it's EVERY run in the rain) so I packed my running clothes to take to work with me today and drove in (no bike).

I never have time to run during or after the work day but today I made an exception for the rain. I was out the door AT 5 pm and gave myself 20 minutes to run out & back along Seattle's waterfront so that I could get home in time to relieve the nanny. I figured 20 minutes is better than nothing, right?

Yeah, it's blurry - but look at the delightful puddles!!


My body was really jerky - discombobulated - during the run since it was my first time in over a week. The gears needed a long slow warmup but I didn't have time. My goal was 2 miles and I made it 2.13 miles in 18 minutes. Not bad. 

Tomorrow I have a track workout on the books. I hope it's NOT raining for that so I can avoid slippery turns. Can't wait! 

In the meantime, finally downloaded a few more photos from my phone that I took in VT during the MCM Mama Goes Masters Virtual 4.0 Mile race that took place the day after a big wind storm. Look closely...that's a TREE going through that roof.


And, the post-race festivities included some local beverages (of all the VT beers we had, I liked the Wolaver's the best) and...

 

dairy treats made in a 100+ year old cheese shop. 


Spoils of Vermont! 

7 comments:

  1. Ackkkk... it's been so dry here, it's been a long time since I ran in the rain, and I really, really miss it! I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go wrong with cheese & beer! As for ruining in the rain? Yeah I probably wouldn't mind either if I could run sub-9 min miles. I'm a bit slower:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going through a dry spell here in NC again. Although I would never wish any damage from Hurricane Earl to our coast, I am sort of hoping it brings us some rain tomorrow.

    Thanks so much for your comment on my blog about winning one of MCM Mama's giveaways. I'm very behind on reading blogs & I had no idea!

    And cheese/beer ... I agree with Tortuga_Runner ... can't really go wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. The trail in Westport isn't long...maybe 3 miles, maybe. It starts at the Islander restaurant (at the end of Westhaven Dr) near the docks and goes along the water to near the light house. If you're planning on a longer run, you might have to lap it a couple times. But you'll have a nice view of the ocean the whole time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I LOVE running in the rain! We haven't had any here in Denver for awhile now. :(

    Yummy beer. And cheese too! You're a girl after my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like running in the rain too! It makes you feel as if all your troubles melt away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a fan of anything that involves:

    Rain (I live in PHX)
    Beer
    Old cheese

    So, this post was basically off the charts

    ReplyDelete