Friday, July 23, 2010

Jillian Michaels & SOWL Motivation Challenge

I've been listening to Jillian Michaels podcasts and they're really good. Why am I a little surprised? I like her on Biggest Loser and am learning some good stuff on her podcasts, though they're a bit old. So, I decided to look her up online and found out that I am 1 year, 3 days older than Jillian. SO close in age. I thought she was A LOT younger than that (me)!

THAT is motivating. She is in incredible shape and as long as she stays that way, I'll always have to tell myself that if Jillian can do it, I can too.

Kerrie's SOWL challenge is to write about what motivates us. When I'm being tempted by junk food, I often think about how the idea of it is what I'm actually craving. Often, the reality of the junk food isn't as good as I think it will be. I also think about how the junk is full of chemicals (peanut butter cup, almond joy, cheetos, etc) and how gross it is to put that stuff in my body. When I'm being tempted, I also remind myself of how good I feel when I eat healthfully. That said, I DO like to treat myself to quality junk food like organic, dark chocolate (Theo!) and other stuff that has ingredients I can pronounce.


When it comes to exercise, I motivate myself by reminding myself again of how good I'll feel 5 or 10 minutes into the exercise and also after I'm done. I remember how I feel strong, empowered, proud, and more energetic after exercising. Or, I think of how I like how my legs look when they're toned and how I can do more activities without feeling like I'm going to pass out.

All that said, it doesn't always work. I try. You try. We all try to make the right choices but it's very difficult, especially when we're tired. And hungry. So, I try not to let myself get to the point where I'm so worn down. Like this week.

Between work, travel to Montana, and getting ready for the family reunion this weekend, it's been a bad exercise & eating week. I didn't bike commute either office day and I've only run 2x (Tuesday in Montana, easy run today) so far.

I guess I'll call this week a rest week in preparation for this Sunday's Swedish SummeRun 5k. I'm really looking forward to my first running race in two years! What will my time be? I haven't run many 5k's since college but my last one was the Pumpkin Push on October 27, 2007, time of 22:49. For this Sunday, my goal is to run as close to 8 minute miles as possible but I really don't know how realistic that is.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to order one of Jillian's books...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are fast! Good luck this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your 5K - I think you'll surprise yourself with some good speed after this "recovery week!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Are you racing your nephew? Hope you win!

    ReplyDelete