Wednesday, July 28, 2010

10k Training Plan + Accidental FUD Encounter

My next event on deck is the You Go Girl 10k on September 26.

Funny thing - I was just looking for the website for this race and came across a website that had a photo of running shoes, a girl in ski gear, and a funny pink, silicon, funnel-like thing: GO GIRL. I have to share because I've never seen anything like this and I think it's interesting. I can definitely think of a few scenarios where this female urination device (FUD) would have come in handy.

ANYONE out there use a GoGirl or similar device?

From the manufacturer's website:

Ok, so what’s a GoGirl?
Simply put, GoGirl is the way to stand up to crowded, disgusting, distant or non-existent bathrooms. It’s a female urination device (sometimes called a FUD) that allows you to pee while standing up. It’s neat. It’s discreet. It’s hygienic.


Who needs it?

If you camp, you’ll love GoGirl. If you ski, you’ll love GoGirl. If you boat, you’ll love GoGirl. If you travel, you’ll love GoGirl. If you just want to avoid the germs you find in nasty public toilets, you’ll love GoGirl. GoGirl is for active women of all types and ages.
Back to the YOU GO GIRL 10K race...

In addition to the 10k, there is a half marathon that Becka in Colorado @ 50HalfMarathonsIn50States is running (a bloggy meeting!) along with a lot of blogging ladies from the greater Seattle area. I think it should be a good time if I can find everyone. Even one of my aunts is running the half marathon (with a team, Racing Divas).

To prep for this distance, I downloaded another Smart Coach plan from RW:


I had to lie about my current 5k race time to get it to give me some faster pacing goals for training. Instead of entering a current time, I wish it asked you to enter a GOAL race time. Maybe I should have just entered that? Like this past weekend's 5k, I hope to run the 10k as close to 8:00 min/mile as possible.

Let the training begin!


11 comments:

  1. My training partner's husband bought her that Go Girl thing for their anniversary. She said it is hard to use. Good luck with the training plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo at a mention in your blog!! :D

    The FUD? Wow... Just looking at it I was trying to figure out a sanitary way to carry that with me while I run - haha.

    See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I found your blog whilst looking for ideas and advice on training for a 10K. I'm hoping to give a race a go this summer, even though I haven't ran for a few years! I have a young family, so finding the time for exercise isn't always easy!

    I have posted an article on my blog about my fitness goals this year...it's a desperate attempt to motivate myself with the pressure of not wanting to fail publicly!

    How long do you think it would take a busy mother to train for a 10K? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Ella x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding time with a young family is definitely a challenge. You just have to take advantage of little windows of opportunity - usually early mornings before everyone wakes up. If you get 1 mile in or 4 miles, it's all a success. Just get out that door! How long it takes you to train for a 10k will depend on how much you are running now/ what your base is. If you are just starting, I would begin with a 5k then build up so you have quicker gratification. Runner's World has great plans you can download after inputting your goals, starting mileage, etc. Also, the "Another Mother Runner" website/blog/podcast is a great resource and their book "train like a mother" has training plans from 5k to marathon. A good investment if you are thinking of progressing up to different distances.
      GOOD LUCK!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips! And I'll definitely need the luck! x

      Delete