Friday, March 12, 2010

Walking Wonderwoman

Right before I headed off to the Y to get my 4-mile walk in today, my NODM training partner, B, emailed to say she did three 11-min miles on the treadmill last night. I almost fell out of my chair.

ELEVEN MINUTE MILES?

I have been walking 14:40 minute miles. How could she do that?

It was good inspiration because when I jumped on the treadmill, I warmed up and did my 5 min of barefoot running followed by 16 min of jog-walk allowed by my PT. Then, I cranked up the speed for the rest of my 4-mile walk, trying to get as close to 11 min miles as possible. I discovered that with only a minor incline, I could pull off 12:40 min miles. I even did 12:30 pace for a quarter mile, zero incline, before breaking into a jog. I finished the 4 miles in 48:33. Not bad!

However, even with 2.5 months to train, I decided I was just going to have to jog next to her for NODM to keep up. 11 minute miles??? She's truly a Walking Wonderwoman.

On my way home, I called B to tell her I dropped my pace by 2 whole minutes and that I'm in total awe of her walking skills.

Silence followed by big laugh.

She had jogged three 11-minute miles! What a relief! The upshot is that it got me to really kick it up several notches and break a real sweat during my workout today.

I'm already feeling the effort in the twinges & twangs running through my legs. I think this pre-St. Patty's Guiness I just poured may help with the tightness?

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! That's funny! When I ran my first 10K, there was a woman fast-walking the course and I didn't catch her till 2 miles into it. She was so fast. Her calves were amazing!

    ReplyDelete